The Parasite

Notes- TW for violence and death and talk of killing

Mike couldn't believe it. Jonathan (the Mind Flayer, really, but Mike continued to call him Jonathan) was about to murder him. He'd survived five years of Upside-Down-torment only to be killed by an evil monster possessing his best friend's brother's corpse three years after. And at the ripe age of nineteen too. He couldn't let it happen.

Mike only had a second to react as Jonathan grabbed a lamp from the dresser by which he was standing and swung it with unbelievable force in his direction. If taken to the head, the blow probably would kill. Mike jumped back onto the bed right as the object sailed past him.

"Why do you even want to get Will?" Mike asked as he turned away from another attempted hit. "Why is he so important to you anyway?"

Jonathan laughed. "I've never been sure, but we're connected. He's the only human I can possess like that." He struck again and Mike jumped away. "This body... this is different. It isn't alive. Taking hold of a corpse is easy, but I need life ."

Mike raised his eyebrow at the statement, distracted momentarily. He felt the force of the lamp colliding with his stomach. He yelped as the pain made him double over. He attempted to get up, but was hit over the head. Suddenly, getting up felt a lot less desirable. He watched through blurry vision as Jonathan stepped closer. This is it. I'm dead.

"So you can see why he's so important, and you've done nothing but get in my way." Jonathan tilted his head, smiling slightly at the barely conscious Mike Wheeler. "Goodbye, Mike. I'll give Will your regards." Jonathan raised the lamp once more and readied himself to deliver the final blow. D&D ran through Mike's head, for one reason or another. Maybe he'll roll a one.

There was a knock at the door. "Hey, is everything alright in there?" Lucas's voice had never sounded so wonderful to Mike.

Jonathan scowled and turned to the door. "Everything's fine, thank you!"

"Are you sure? I heard a couple of pretty loud bangs. Did something fall over?"

"Really, Lucas. Everything's-"

Mike found the strength to sit up. He reached his hand out and pulled Jonathan's leg out from underneath him, making him lose balance. Jonathan gave a surprised gasp, prompting Lucas to open the door.

Lucas looked at the sight with wide eyes. "What the hell?" is what he managed to say.

Mike got up, slightly wobbly. "That's not Jonathan." He pointed. "It's the Mind Flayer. He tried to- agh!" Mike was grabbed by the hair and pulled back by a cold, boney hand. He felt something press against his scalp as Lucas stepped back.

"Woah," said Lucas. "Put the gun down, Jonathan- er... Mind Flayer? Let's talk, okay?"

Jonathan shook his head. "I was hoping I wouldn't have to use this thing, too much noise, but you leave me no choice." He pressed the weapon harder. Mike noticed his hands had started up shaking again. "Don't make a sound or I'll shoot him."

Lucas looked conflicted, unsure what he should make of his situation. He stood there for a moment, unmoving. Mike could almost see the cogs in his brain at work, trying to think of a way out. He looked Mike in the eyes, his voice shaky. "If I'm wrong about this, Mike, I'm really sorry." With that, Lucas turned and bolted down the hallway. Mike's mouth dropped open. Lucas had just left him to die.

"Hey!" shouted Jonathan. He took the gun away from Mike's head and shoot through the door, missing Lucas by an inch. He lowered the gun and groaned. "Dammit, come with me." He walked into the hallway, holding Mike tightly by the arm and pressing the gun to his head.