8| Half Broken Japanese

•In half broken Japanese, I wrote to you 愛してる oh 愛してるFor most of my life, I've thought not with my heart but my brain 心を愛してる•

(Authors Note: 愛してる means I love you)

|VI|

•••

"So what's your story? How long have you lived around here?" Dream asked, Vi gave a smile, one of the first the skeletons had ever seen.

"I've lived around here for a while yeah, lots of people left after the Ebott incident, uhm, don't really have much to leave with, or much to leave for," Vi muttered, Ink looked at them curiously.

"Ebott Incident?," Ink questioned before Blue could kindly elbow him in the ribcage.

"You guys don't know about the Ebott Incident?" Vi asked, baffled before they continued, "It's kind of a huge deal."

"Ink's so forgetful sometimes," Dream laughed uncomfortably, forcing a smile, acting as if he knew, Vi could almost see it plain as day.

"How.. how can you forget something so traumatizing? I mean, monsters had just resurfaced and it was a bloodbath," Their voice dropped to a whisper as they looked around, it was kind of taboo to talk of the incident, "Someone you knew must have died? I mean you look my age, you could've been at my school when it happened." With that the carefully zipped bag fell open, as they spilled all they knew.

"Must've gotten lucky," Blue muttered, smile dropping at the word 'bloodbath'. He listened, knowing he would have to recount this to Ink later, resigned to his fate.

"13 of the deaths were monsters, they attacked lots of different places, the group behind it. Uhm, I don't think they came out with a name, but it was monsters, it left a lot of people orphaned or widowed or dead," Their recounting was hazy, but true nonetheless, "A lot more humans were killed, a lot of kids too. I knew a lot of people who died, some bad people did die in the- the incident."

"Oh geez," Ink muttered, his tone more serious than he ever knew how to be, invested in the story.

"It's funny actually, sometimes it feels like I was spared, my whole family died, my friends families died, uhm, but me and my friends lived, of our class of 11 only four of us lived so that was uhm, fun?" They really didn't know how to talk about a traumatic event in a casual way, so Vi was anxious as they spoke.

"You have friends?" Ink blurted and Dream chided him, rubbing his shoulder with a hand a tad bit forcefully.

"Oh well not anymore actually.." Vi laughed awkwardly, continuing, "My friend group kind of split up after the incident, my friend, Micheal, he couldn't stay because his parents were killed, and me and my other friend, Pluto, just kind of stopped talking afterwards, uhm, I regret it a little, I want to have friends." I just don't know what I did wrong...

Silence for a moment.

The three skeleton's impressions from their initial meeting were completely displaced at this. While it was not good friendship tactics, they truly thought that Vi didn't want friends in the slightest, to hear this news, Dream was ecstatic and Blue could already feel the positivity wafting off of him in bursts.

"We could be your friends!" Dream chirped, clasping his hands together with a calm smile. Vi felt calm too, for some odd reason. Maybe they could start to heal. Maybe they could finally overcome this.

"Yeah.." They paused, taking in a careful breath, forcing themselves to relax, "I'd like that."

•••