Chapter 4

Kang Seulgi

Ms. Bae avoided my gaze. "Oh, I heard your friends talking, they said you are allergic to shrimps."

I looked at it closely before nodding. I felt like there was something more she hadn't said, and I would find out eventually.

Ms. Bae and I were peacefully eating while listening to our friends.

"Unnie, how's life?" Jennie randomly asked, breaking the conversation between Lisa and her.

Ms. Bae wiped her mouth. "It's getting better, but not that much."

"Don't worry, Unnie. Everything will go back to normal. Just don't give up. We're here to support you," Jennie genuinely said.

Ms. Bae looked at me. "I'm not planning to give up, especially now that she's getting closer to me."

I swallowed and averted my gaze. Was she referring to me?

"Guys! We should hang out or even go on a triple date," Lisa chimed in.

I rolled my eyes. I didn't even have a partner, and she was suggesting this. Just because they had someone didn't mean they should forget about the single ones.

"Oh yeah, that sounds fun," Jisoo agreed.

"Geez! You can go on a double date, but a triple date? Are you okay with that? I don't have a partner!" I pouted.

They all laughed at me. "Don't worry, we'll find you one. Right, baby?" Lisa asked.

Jennie nodded. "Yeah, and besides, our Unnie here is also single," Jennie said teasingly.

I cleared my throat. "Can we stop talking about that? Show some respect for us single folks. And please, don't drag Ms. Bae into this. She's keeping quiet."

My friends were acting a bit strange. They seemed to forget that she was still our professor. I didn't want things to become awkward between us.

Jisoo was about to speak when the bell rang. Thankfully, I had finished my meal and tidied up.

"Thanks for the food, guys, but I have to go. I need to leave first," I quickly said. I faced Ms. Bae to bid her goodbye. "I'll go ahead, Ms."

I saw that she wanted to say something more but decided against it. She just nodded, and I walked away. I didn't want to be in the hot seat.

---

It had been several weeks since we ate together with Ms. Bae in the canteen, and everything seemed to be back to normal. But in recent days, she had been absent from class more often. I didn't want to ask her friends; they might think I was prying.

Well, I was concerned, but only because how were we supposed to learn without someone to teach us? Yeah, that was the reason.

After our class ended, I just wanted to go home. I was exhausted, both mentally and physically drained. I felt like something was missing, or rather, someone.

But enough of that.

I was walking toward the parking lot when I heard someone crying. I was going to ignore it, but something told me to investigate. I sighed and followed the sound. I reached the far end of the parking area but still couldn't find the source.

I was about to leave when the crying grew louder. I looked to my right and saw Ms. Bae crying while someone was trying to harm her.

I felt a surge of anger and immediately rushed to intervene. I didn't know what had happened, but I stopped when someone hugged me from behind.

"Stop, please, Bear. That's enough. Please stop, Jagiya," her voice cracked.

It was as if something snapped within me. I ceased my actions and hugged Ms. Bae tightly, gently stroking her back while offering comforting words.

"Shh, shh, stop crying. I'm here. I won't let this happen again. I'll make sure he goes to jail," I assured her.

She clung to my shirt, not wanting to let go. "I'll call the police; you stay here, okay?" I tried to disengage from her, but she held on tightly.

"Don't leave me; I don't want to be alone. I need you," she barely whispered.

She wasn't crying anymore, but my heart ached to see her in pain.

Her clothes were slightly torn, and her arms were red.

I clenched my fists. If I hadn't arrived in time, something terrible might have happened.

I put my jacket around her and embraced her. I kissed her forehead. "Don't worry, I won't go anywhere. I'll protect you, Ms. I promise."

I wiped her tears away. "Stop crying. My heart breaks when I see you like this."

I didn't know why I felt this way, but I wanted to protect and care for her.

"Jagiya, stop crying. What can I do to make you feel better?" I asked.

She playfully punched my chest. "Why do you always do this? You know I hate surprises," she sobbed.

I laughed and hugged her. "You know I love surprising you. It's my way of showing affection, so you can't stop me. Stop crying; it breaks my heart to see my baby sad."

She playfully hit my chest again. "You! It's happy tears, okay? I hate that I'm starting to like surprises because of you! I hate you!"

I laughed and kissed her forehead. "I love you too."

"Seulgi?" My thoughts were interrupted.

"Y-Yeah?" I replied.

"Take me home, please. I don't think I can stay here any longer."

I nodded. "Okay, let's go."

I helped her into the car. She fell asleep within minutes.

She must be tired and still recovering from what had happened. I would make sure that the person responsible would face the consequences. Out of all people, they had targeted Ms. Bae.

"Bear, you promised to protect me, right?"

My forehead furrowed. "You don't have to remind me, Jagiya. I'll protect you, no matter what. I won't let anything happen to you."

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you ask that? Is someone bothering you? Tell me."

She chuckled. "I was just checking. Is it bad to ask? I just wanted to make sure you knew how to respond correctly. You passed my test, Love!"

I groaned. "Stop laughing, Jagiya. You want to continue teasing me, don't you? I don't mind keeping you awake all night."

"Bear!"

My thoughts drifted back. I couldn't help but have flashbacks ever since I saw Ms. Bae. Was it true? Who was that girl, and why did seeing her trigger memories of my past?

"Are you somehow related to that girl, Ms. Bae?" I said to myself.