Chapter 5

Maxine arrives in the woods, the music ringing through the mountains. In the middle of the crowd a fire was burning, the flames roaring into the sky. "Maxine come!" Shouts Alaine. Maxine runs over to her. "What are you guys doing?" Maxine asks. "Well it's an end of exams party right?" Says Lydia. "So, you're burning the exam papers?" Asks Maxine, staring at the flames. "Precisely." Replies Lydia, smirking.

"RUN!!!!!!!!!" Yells Eileen, running towards the group. "What?!" Says Rita, running towards her. "Danny- hex- Danny is... the murderer!" Shouts Eileen. Everyone runs away screaming. Cole sprints to the nearby cabin and locks the door. Maxine accidentally drops Bear, her dog's, leash and Bear runs off into the distance, barking. "BEAR NO!" Yells Maxine.

Danny smirks. Maxine runs off after Bear and Alaine races off towards them. "Maxine wait!" Shouts Alaine. "Bear!" Yells Maxine, but Bear is gone. Danny runs the other way, after Bear and a red haired boy. "I think we lost him." Says Alaine, out of breath. Maxine spins around in a circle, frantically. "We'll find him Maxine!" Says Alaine, holding Maxine to stop for a moment.

Maxine nods, starting to sob. "I knew Danny was up to something!" Says Alaine, angrily. A loud scream is heard in the distance. "Alaine?" Maxine says, still crying. "I'm okay, don't worry." Alaine replies. "Should we go see what it is?" Maxine asks. Alaine hesitates for a moment and then silently nods in an unsure motion.

The two girls walk toward where the scream had come from. There on the dirty ground lay Max and Bear's bodies, drenched in blood. Maxine screams in horror. "BEAR!" Screeches Maxine, beginning to sob even more. She drops down on the ground and strokes Bear's fur, her hand covered in blood in an instant. "Maxine.... We need to get out of here. And call the police." Says Alaine, trying to reason with a sobbing Maxine.

Maxine slowly nods but she doesn't move. "Maxine.." "Mae..." Maxine looks up at the reference to her old nickname. Maxine gets up and hugs Alaine, still sobbing, her hands still covered in Bear's blood. "Thank you." Says Maxine.

The girls walk off and find their stuff. They call the police and hope that the others are okay and Danny is gone.

Alaine notices that Maxine is very off... she's out of place, pacing like a toddler. "Are you okay?" Alaine asks, knowing very well that Maxine was definitely not okay.

"I'm fine." Maxine replied. Alaine sighs. "Come let's just go home. We can go to sleep and then deal with this in the morning." Says Alaine. Maxine gives a light smile and nods.

The girls begin to walk home together..