Chapter Nineteen- The Greatest Conquest of All!

"Oh. You didn't see, because you didn't wish to see! Ah! Well, I guess that makes everything fine then, doesn't it?" -Jeff Goldblum playing Aaron the brother of the Biblical Moses in Dream Works Picture's "The Prince of Egypt".

Moses had just admitted that he chose to look past the suffering of his people. This actually doesn't square with the Biblical account that indicates Moses was aware of their plight. He even killed a man while trying to help. This resulted in his own exile.

Years later Moses had a family, and his past was long behind him when a voice challenged the slavery model for the very first time. Not slavery specifically, but oppressive slavery. The narcissistic conquests of this great nation were painted on the walls of their monuments in full color.

According to Egyptian historical records these monuments were constructed by willing laborers.
Whichever version you choose to believe depends on the perception you have chosen to adopt. Either way, as is the case with all oppressive empires, the children suffered. Now, we can sit here and play the blame game, or we can step back and address the real issue.

According to the biblical narrative, what drove the Egyptian ruler to not only Enslave this people, but also to practice genocide on the infants? Fear. Fear of a possible revolt. Greed had led to these great monuments of Egyptian greatness. Obligation to their duties prevented any Egyptian from speaking up. Was there guilt? I don't know, but quite a few Egyptians left when everything was said and done.

Throughout history slavery (today known as human trafficking) has endured. We may convince ourselves that receiving monetary benefits negates the word slavery, but this is simply not true. We may just need to adjust our perception.

There are many forms of trafficking. However, without mind-trafficking none of the other forms can hold up. A willing worker is happy in his cage. Why would he want to leave. Like mice, we follow the scent of the cheese. We might prefer bread with our cheese. Perhaps some wine. Maybe some apple slices. Okay, now I'm getting greedy.

Is bread really so important. Of course it is. That's how I keep living. Food and water are essential. But what is more essential?

When I was young I heard a wise gentleman in a brightly colored sweater quote a French author. The quote was from his favorite story entitled: "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

"That which is essential is not visible to the eyes."

What is essential, yet not visible? The wind. The air we breathe. Without this vital gas. We would die in mere minutes. It's true, some have learned to hold their breath for extended periods. Food and water are less essential from moment to moment.

This concept reminds me of the words of a certain son of a carpenter from a town called Nazareth, who walked this earth nearly two thousand years ago. While walking in the desert, he was faced with three narcissistic tests. His pride was at the root of each one. I will not focus on all three tests here. Just the first one. He was tempted with bread acquired with an opportunistic mindset. His response echoes the previous quote. Or perhaps it's the other way around.

He said: "Man does not live by bread alone." He said more, but let's start here. He didn't say we don't need bread. He said there is more to life. It's like he could see something that we couldn't even understand until scientists started researching. We call it oxygen today. It is a gift we receive from trees and other plants. We in turn release another gas back to them called carbon dioxide. This symbiotic cycle keeps all living things alive. We can't see these gases, but they are most definitely essential.

However, air was not the answer that this sage of antiquity was highlighting. He was pointing to a greater invisible source for life.

Many today reject the very notion of what I am alluding to, because they have witnessed repeated examples of religious exploitation. One might say there is no greater form of mind trafficking. Carl Marx compared this undue influence to opium for the masses.

No one wants to be exploited. We run from exploitation like the plague, but it is unavoidable. The true conquest is to face it. The world is filled with it. The challenge is to look it directly in the eye and say: No More!

World conquest is not about forcing others to conform to our cookie cutter view of reality. It begins by getting some perspective. Use sympathy not empathy to listen to the other person's expressions. Try to see things from their perception. Then compare it to your own. Then go out and get even more perceptions.

The more perceptions you acquire, the easier it will be to see the full mosaic of perspective. You won't need to run from the creature any longer. When we hear it's desperate roar we may raise our heads, but we won't panic. When others see your reaction it may actually peak their interest. They may even strike up a conversation. When they do. Why not share this story with them.