Chapter 7: Casual Smithy's Day

The following day arrived, and Bell, along with his supporter Lili, found themselves at Muramasa's workshop within the Hephaestus building. Muramasa was ready to begin crafting a weapon for Bell, an offer that had taken Bell by surprise and filled him with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. He was cautious, repeatedly seeking reassurance that this custom-made weapon wouldn't require payment. Both Bell and Hestia knew they couldn't afford the considerable cost of Muramasa's craftsmanship, which was on par with the prices of items created by Hephaestus herself.

Bell began to express his preference for a knife when Muramasa interjected, lightly bonking him on the head. "Enough" Muramasa commanded firmly. "I've made it clear that this is on the house for you, my boy. I've even drawn up and signed a contract to formalize that." Despite Bell's reservations, Muramasa's insistence on providing the weapon free of charge was unwavering.

While Bell pondered his options, Muramasa resumed his work, shaping a Minotaur horn into the desired form. Although he could have used stronger materials, Muramasa opted to follow Bell's request, even if it was somewhat unconventional.

Several hours passed as Muramasa meticulously worked on the creation of the new knife. Finally, the process reached its completion, and Muramasa held up the finished product for Bell to see. The knife appeared both lightweight and incredibly sharp, eliciting a sense of awe from Bell. As Muramasa placed the knife in front of him on the workbench, he took a step back to extinguish the fire in the pit behind him.

Just as Bell's anticipation reached its peak and he was about to unsheathe the newly crafted knife, Muramasa's voice broke the momentary silence. "Wait, Bell" he said, prompting Bell to pause and look up at Muramasa, his curiosity piqued. Muramasa, who had been walking towards him, had something more to share.

"You seem quite carefree when it comes to picking up unfamiliar blades of mine" Muramasa began, his tone gentle but with a hint of warning. "Not that it's inherently bad, but remember the unique nature of blades crafted by me." Bell's expression shifted from curiosity to shock, and he carefully placed the small knife back down on the workbench, avoiding the handle. "I nearly forgot!" he exclaimed, taking a step back as if realizing his oversight.

Muramasa leaned on the bench, his gaze steady on Bell. "Blades made by me aren't exactly ordinary. They bear a curse within them, one that can lead to the user's demise at the blade's discretion or subject them to an eternity of misfortune" he elaborated, revealing the darker aspect of his craftsmanship. Bell nodded, his attention focused as he absorbed this information. He had a basic understanding of Muramasa's blades, but this was a more thorough explanation.

Muramasa went on, clarifying that the curse would only impact those who used the blades for purposes that were in contrast to the intentions behind the blade's creation or when the blade was wielded by an unworthy individual. Bell gazed at the knife, his thoughts processing the weight of this revelation. Muramasa slowly brought the blade closer to Bell, inviting him to put the knife to the test. "Let's see your luck, my boy," he said, his voice a mix of curiosity and anticipation.

With a blend of nervousness and determination, Bell gingerly picked up the knife and unsheathed it. The blade felt balanced in his hand, and as he swung it a few times through the air, he noticed a remarkable phenomenon. The knife seemed to adjust itself to his movements, almost as if it was attuning to his unique style. The sensation was astonishing, making the blade feel lighter and more familiar than his other black knife.

"Woah, how does it already feel like I've been using it for a long time?" Bell marveled, genuinely surprised by the intuitive connection he felt with the knife. His amazement was met with a slight grin from Muramasa, who seemed content with the outcome.