.06

claire's pov - March 6th , 2023

it was race day. i was feeling physically sick as i slid my helmet over my head. i finished tenth on the grid which wasn't the best start, though it was my very first grand prix in formula one, and i wasn't expected to be the best on track. but i had to be if i wanted to win that bet against max.

i lifted the helmet off my head and crouched down as lewis cautiously followed me. "claire? are you alright?" he asked as i managed to nod slowly while taking in deep breaths. "i know your nervous, but i promise you it goes away once you enter the car. everything just becomes a bunch of blurring lights and all you focus on is your car and the cars around you."

"claire!" i heard lilly shout as she rushed over to me and knelt down beside me. "what happened?" i managed to bring myself to lift my head up to the sky while lewis explained i was nervous. "but you raced on the track yesterday."

"it's very different," i said while calming myself. 

claire nodded placing a hand on my back as lewis squeezed my shoulder. i couldn't seem to shake max's words as he told me i would never make it. it seemed so unfairly harsh to say that too a rookie.

"claire, lewis. we need youse out there," a crew member said. i began to get to my feet holding my helmet tightly. 

as i walked out to the crowed i could here the mix of boos and cheers just as i did every time i walked out so far. i wished i could keep my head down, but instead i held it high up and waved at  everyone around me. i noticed someone with a sign saying, 'a change for the better!' with my face on it making me feel just a bit better.

as i began to approach my car i noticed a reporter standing there, waiting for me. i had a few interviews so far, but they were still so nerve racking. "claire banks!" he called as i cringed. everyone still called me claire banks, although my registered name was claire pari-banks. "a moment of your time?"

i nodded placing my helmet on top of my car while pulling my attention to the camera. "of course you may," i answered with a wide smile.

"so claire, as your very first offical race, are you confident in yourself?" he asked as i took a deep breath leaning back onto the car. 

i nodded while saying, "of course i'm nervous but i came here to prove i was worth of my seat so i certainly will not let my nerves get to me." 

the reporter nodded and looked back down at his clipboard. "thats fantastic. now one last question for you. do you believe you receive more hate or love on this fia project?" 

he placed the microphone in front of me once again and i found myself frozen, replaying max's words over and over. "i like to believe there is more love for me out there, but unfortunately there is more hate. though it gives me a reason to push hard this race. to prove them wrong," said looking directly in the camera hoping max saw it.

the reporter thanked me for my time as my manager, alex, came over. he was a short person and wore glasses for to big for his face, but he didn't seem to mind what others thought. he was married after all. "okay, remember the plan?" he asked.

"just push past everyone, don't hesitate, and ignore the hate," i repeated what he had told me a few days earlier. 

alex patted me on the back and headed back to the pits while i slid my helmet over my head and took a deep breath. i slid myself into the car and got everything sorted out. there were two minutes until light out and my heart began racing. 

i took a few more deep breaths before i felt someone knock on my helmet. i looked up and flicked my visor to see toto with a smile. "you ready rookie?" he asked as i managed to get myself to nod. "alright look, i want you to cut past bottas as quickly as you can. once you do that i'll figure it out."

"got it," i agreed as i looked up at the clock. toto quickly wandered off as i closed my eyes and told myself i could do this. the crew took my tire warmers off and i look up seeing people clapping and cheering. "here we go."

the formation lap began and we went around warming up our tires before returning back to the grid line up. i watched the lights as they counted down. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. go.

i felt the force hit me like a brick as i took off, but i quickly brought myself into focus as i came up to the first turn. most cars tried taking the inner and all crowded together, while i took a risk and pulled the breaks a little too late, though it helped me get around the main crowd. "radio check, claire, radio check," one of the engineers said over the radio.

"yeah i hear you," i replied as flew past lando's mclaren. i managed to creep up behind a aston matin and take the inner corner on turn two putting me in front of lance as.

"okay claire, on turn three take the out and should pass russell," i was told as i looked ahead and scrunched my face up. "claire? do you copy?" i shook my head and decided to do my own thing by letting him take the lead on the corner. "what was that? now he's ahead."

i opened my drs and caught up to george by the fourth corner. "no he's not, he would've been if i took the lead on that corner," i answered as i just received a grunt of annoyance from the radio. "what place am i?"

"you are currently sitting at fifth, good job," it was toto who replied and i smiled. "okay now you're entering sector two, make sure to take it easy on the corner."

i did as toto said and took it smoothly and easy around the fifth corner before i doing the same fro the sixth and seven corners. george had been coming closer behind me but i wasn't too worried. i had the confidence in myself.

some laps had passed and i dropped back to eight by the thirtieth lap, though george and i were now fighting for eight. "take the inside here on turn thirteen claire," an engineer said as i complied. down the straight george and i came wheel to wheel, though he seemed to get a little too close.

"claire drop back!" someone over the radio said in a slightly raised voice. i should've listened the moment they said it as george was getting far too close and we collided just before the fourteen turn. 

my car spun out with his onto the gravel as we collided once more on there. my head throbbed as the ringing in my ears slowly faded out and i opened my eyes again. "claire? any sign of injury?" the radio asked. "safety car is out now."

"no injury, maybe just a concussion." i answered as i managed to slowly get myself from the car. my head was spinning as too was the world under me as i took a seat next to my car and placed my head in my hands. "fuck me," i cursed taking my helmet off to feel the fresh air on my face. 

i managed to bring my head up and saw george standing by his car as he made his way over to me. "jesus claire, you don't look okay." george said as i looked back down. "claire?" he asked as my vision became hazy and fogy.

i noticed lights flashing in front of me and thats when everything fell into a void of darkness.