.11

max pov - Match 19th, 2023

after the qualifying session, i claimed my usual pole position but was shocked when i was told claire managed to claw her way to third place. after the race i went over to congratulate her as she must of pushed herself hard to knock out lewis by almost a whole second. 

"congratulations," i said to her while i smiled.

she looked behind me then back at me and smlied. "never celebrate until you have the win." she said coldly before walking by me to her boyfriend. her boyfriend smiled and hugged her tightly before a camera was shoved into her face.

while focusing on claire i wasn't even aware of the reporter attempting to grab my attention until she tapped me on the shoulder. i was listening to the reporter but something in me kept glancing back at claire and her little boyfriend.

i wonder what was so good about him. he was shorter then her, seemed to be the weird kid who ate his boogers, called her 'bug' of all things. his hair was a mess of curls that weren't looked after and his skin seemed uncomfortably dry to even look at. his eyes were also way too close together, and his nose seemed too small on his big face.

"so claire banks is third on the starting grid, knocking her teammate out by nearly a whole second. do you see her being a potential threat in the future?" the reporter asked while looking at me.

i nodded while thinking of a real answer other than a single worded one. "i believe if she can build on the skill she currently has, and they managed to upgrade their car of course, i think both her and lewis could be very potential threats to not just me, but the whole grid."

the reporter spotted charles was free so thanked me for my time and walked into his direction. i saw the reporter had left claire, so i chose to say hello to her little boyfriend. "noah right?" i asked as i stuck my hand out. "it's nice to see you again."

"yeah same man," he shook my hand with his tiny baby hands as claire looked up to the sky and shook her head. "so the race tomorrow seems like its going to be a good one. i mean line up is decent."

i nodded and claire looked back down at me. "yeah it is a good line up. shocking, but good."

"what do you mean by 'shocking,' max?" claire chipped in and straightened her posture. i noticed when she did so, she back almost two inches taller than noah, which took me the world to not comment on.

though i couldn't help a smile escape my lips as i said, "well you knocking out lewis is impressing, and also left a few of us shocked. seeing you are a rookie and a second driver."

claire just sighed before dragging noah away as he waved. i looked after them before daniel jumped onto my back scaring the shit out of me. "jeez dude. i told you to stop doing that so many damn times."

"yeah but it's funny, so i won't be stopping," he said with a smirk as i laughed. "can you believe i placed fifth. doubt the garage is going to be too impressed with that."

i pat him on the shoulder before a reporter took his attention, and i grabbed my water bottle from my manager while she was rambling about something. i wasn't paying much attention to her as my eyes were set on how i noticed claire would suck in her bottom lip while being interviewed. each time she wasn't talking she did it.

i also noticed noah standing there like a looser while smiling at her as if his hole world evolved around her. i found it pathetic how he seemed so involved with her. i mean i've been in love, but i have always seen it as unreasonable to fall so deeply in love with someone that your whole life evolves around them. 

"earth to max," my manager, allison, was wavering her hand in front of my face. "did you hear any of that?"

i looked at her blankly before shrugging my shoulders. "was it important?"

she sighed before flicking back through pages on her clipboard. "you know what, i'll just find you later."

i watched as she walked off shaking her head and i was being asked for the top three qualifying photo. i headed over to where the photo was and saw charles already there. he placed second and was thrilled by it. 

"good job man," i said coming from behind him and he shook my hand before bring me in for a hug. 

charles and i spoke for a little before claire came up and jumped onto charles back, as he just managed to catch her. "I DID IT! I PLACED BEHIND YOU! YOU OWE ME 20 BUCKS LOOSER!" she screamed delighted.

"what?!" charles seemed confused as claire slid down his back and joined next to him. "i don't owe you anything!"

claire laughed as i watched her cover her mouth and bend over, hiding her face. i wondered why i noticed this, but i just did. "when we were kids. remember?" she said in her laughed, still covering her smile.

charles face flashed with realisation as he nodded and someone began telling us to face them. i put my arm around charles, but became hesitant to touch claire after our blow out earlier. claire stood to my left and placed her arm around my waist, as i looked at her. 

i quickly looked back at the cameras and put my arms around her shoulders as she smiled. the camera's flashed and i dropped my arm when they began to slow down. my fingers grazed down her back as she shivered and moved forwards. "it'll be fun seeing you two on the front lines tomorrow," i said.

"wish i could say the same," claire said holding the smile for the camera's and hugging charles once more before running down to her boyfriend. i shook charles hand and we walked off together while he jokes about beating me in the race tomorrow.

while we passed claire on our way down she stared at me and frowned. it was more a frown of confussion that anything else. i nodded in her direction with a smile as she rolled her eyes and brought her attention back over to bug boy. 

i regret being so harsh on her in the start, but when someone is harsh on you, it gives you more motivation to prove them wrong. thats what my father taught me. and now i'm winning race after race.