.09

claire's pov - March 19th, 2023

"claire, let's go," my manager, alex, told me as i frowned. i had no clue where i was going but i followed anyway. "this panel is only expected to go for at least an hour and a half. be responsible and bite down on that nasty tongue of yours. got it?"

i stopped in my tracks as i wasn't aware i was going to be attending a panel meeting today. it was qualifying today, and i originally was just planning to rest. "a panel? i certainly wasn't made aware of this alex."

"well now you are," he smiled as i caught up quickly. "it's a small panel today. just you, leclerc, norris and piastri," alex looked down at his phone being texting someone. "oh, and vertsappen."

i rolled my eyes and dragged myself into the conference room. i had successfully been avoiding verstappen all weekend, dodging him in the pits, ignoring his messages in the group and not mentioning him in any interviews. that was all about to be over now.

i was one of the first at the panel, along with lando. he waved me over and i sat down readjusting the mic to my level as i greeted lando with a smile and a warm 'hello.' he did the same before piastri came and took a seat one away from me. i looked at the name of the person who would be sitting next to me and shook my head. of course it was vertsappen.

soon after us three dove into conversation charles showed up and seemed oddly excited to see me. "what's up with you?" i asked covering the mic so no one else could hear. 

he pointed out at the crowd of reporters and i looked over shocked to see noah among them all. i smiled at him as he winked at me. i had no clue he was going to be here this weekend, and i was so happy that he was. though the mood was crushed when vertsappen came and sat next to me.

"how are we all?" he asked looking at the four of us, but i ignored him and looked at the ceiling. kill me now, i said in my own mind as the first reporter asked their question. 

it was a question for charles so we all looked over as he answered the question. the next few questions were targeted at a single driver, none of which being me, until one younger girl called my name. "claire pari-banks, back in f3 it shows you were consistent with your wins and had amazing pace. what happened when you moved to f1 in order to dnf the first race?"

"well it's a massive jump," i began as all eyes were on me. my stomach dropped and i suddenly felt nervous stuttering on my words. "the cars are faster, and, uh, um.."

i looked around and found noah's face but couldn't find it. "what claire is trying to say is that it's huge for an f3 driver to be thrown up so high in such short time," max begun as i glared at him with thin eyes.

"yes, and it was an accident on george's half last race. i was in his blind spot and he didn't check it properly," i finished cutting max off.

i looked over at max and he had an odd soft gaze about him that made me angry. "another question for you claire," another reporter shot up. "are you currently dating anyone? the people wish to know as you've been seen getting close with charles lately."

charles and i couldn't help but laugh and apologised for it. "no no, charles and i are practically family. he is the reason i am here today and i'll always try to make that up to him and his family. but i am dating someone, just not on the grid." i answered still laughing.

"who?" was the first thing i heard.

i looked around and still couldn't find noah so i just said, "you'll see him in the paddock today."

the room fell silent as i went to look over at charles, but was greeted with a icy look coming from max. i rolled my eyes at him before returning my focus to the questions, not that many more were about me. 

"this question is for everyone," an older man asked readjusting his tie. "who do you all believe will be this years rivalry?"

i looked around at the boys as they all did the same. "i mean i'd say we could except something pretty tight from one of the mercedes drivers and the red bull's," oscar said openly as i straightened my back in pride.

"well we do have the better car," i added with a smirk at vertsappen.

"we have the better drivers," max quickly snapped as i shook my head.

"eight time world champion on ours, and a really decent driver on yours. sadly danny is dragged down by you though," i said. i knew it was completely out of line and i certainly would get yelled at by alex, but it was worth seeing max's face.

"seven time." max said straightening up as all the reporters fell silent. "i have one of the titles miss banks."

i narrowed my eyes as i stared at him for a moment. "it's pari-banks. get it right," i exclaimed looking away and sighing. i saw in the corner of my eye that he had a devilish smirk that i was so tempted to wipe clean off his face with the back of my hand, but i reframed from doing so.

"someone's crabby," max said under his breath, so it didn't reach the mic. i slammed my foot down on his town as he hunched over in pain and i sat there with a proud smirk on my face. 

looking around the room i spotted alex shaking his head in disappointment as disbelief but. couldn't stop smiling. "well that's all for today's meeting. people be sure to exit in an orderly fashion ladies and gentlemen." someone announced as i watched everyone leave one by one until it was just us four and our managers left.

i quickly ducked out to avoid the wrath of alex, and i'm sure max had the same idea as he always went to leave. "out the back door, they won't find us," max whispered as he turned me around and pushed me out.

the moment we got out of the building i ignored max and went the opposite way as he did. i knew he was looking at me, i could feel it, so when i glanced back and saw him motionlessly staring at me i just rolled my eyes.

--:--:--:--

i sat in my car before the qualifying waiting to be given the all clear to take my lap. i was watching the fan screen above me as max took his first lap. he was doing well and i was watching closely in hopes i'd be able to copy him and score a better time.

someone knocked on my helmet so i flipped up my visor and looked up to see alex. i hadn't seen  him since the panel and i thought i wouldn't see him here. "you and i are having a very long conversation after this."

"got it," i gave him a thumbs up and an apologetic smile as he shook his head storming off and i sighed. "well i'm in for it."

i was told to get ready and i had both hands on the wheel as the crew lifted the warmers off my tires. i shot out of the garage and down the pits, praying i could get out of the elimination.