.13

max's pov - March 20th, 2023

i got changed quickly and also got out of there, to find claire hitting her head on a near tree. '"need a ride?" i asked dangling the keys to my ferrari 488 pista in my left hand. claire shook her head as i raised an eyebrow. "claire its getting late, you don't have a phone, and charles isn't going to be out anytime soon. no way am i leaving you here this late, get in the car."

i unlocked at the car as the lights lit up. claire made her way over to the passenger seat and slid into the car as i threw my bag into the back and also slid into the car. i grabbed my phone from my pocket, unlocked it and handed it to claire. "call your boyfriend." i said as she shook her head.

"i don't want to. just take me to the hotel," she asked while putting her seatbelt on. i couldn't stop the corners of my mouth curve into a small smile, though i had no clue why. "i'm at the same hotel as you, by the way."

i nodded and reversed out, hitting the road and looking around at the enormous crowds leaving the track. claire was covering her face slightly, so i handed her my sunglasses and she took the cautiously. "you welcome."

"why are you being nice?" she asked putting the glasses on and covering her mouth as fans took pictures of her and i.

"this is going to be tough to explain. 'mystery girl spotted with vertsappen, wearing mercedes gear.'" i teased with a smile. claire didn't find this funny. "i'm not as ass claire. i wouldn't let you just wait out there, this late at night."

claire just looked forward and rested her head on the window while we got caught in a little traffic. i turned the radio up a little and sighed while we creeped down the street slowly. claire brought her knees to her chest and held the tight, curling herself into a small ball.

my phone buzzed and it was charles, so i answered it through the car. "yeah?"

"have you got claire? i came out looking for her and she isn't here?" he asked as i looked over at her. she was still looking forward and ignored me. "noah's here with me and said he can drive her home."

claire began rapidly shaking her head in my direction and mouthing the words, no, over and over. "i sent her home with an uber. thats what she wanted." i lied and claire focused on the call. "tell him to go to the hotel. she'll be there."

"thank you, max," i heard noah say.

"okay." i hung up the phone as claire just looked out the window, up at the faint sky of stars. she looked around the sky and through my window before smiling. "what is it?" i asked looking out the window while the traffic was at a standstill.

claire covered her smiled and said, "you can see the stars pretty well."

"you like stars?" i asked.

she nodded.

i nodded.

it was quiet for a little before i turned to her and said, "i'm sorry about what i said. i just through if i gave you someone to prove wrong, you'd have motivation to beat everyone on track."

"trust me, i have someone to prove wrong max and its not you." she seemed hurt when she spoke, and i looked over at her. she looked at my confused face and waved her hand. "don't worry about it."

i still looked at her, unaware that there was a gap ahead of me to move forward. the car behind me honked and i moved up, while claire had gotten herself comfy in the seat, placing her seatbelt behind her head. i looked forward at the traffic and tapped the steering wheel impatiently.

i turned the radio up a little louder and tapped to the beat. "stop." claire said as i frowned. "tapping. please stop tapping." i slid my hands to the bottom of the wheel and threw my head back in the seat.

she seemed to be off. it was the way she was siting and the way she looked out the window, it was a look hard to mistake for someone like me. it was the look of self disappointment, with fear, anger and sadness all mixed into it.

"you raced well today," i reminded her as she looked at me.

with a shake of the head, she replied, "okay max."

"you did."

"okay."

"claire," i said moving my body to face her. "you have the skill, you just need to push yourself."

"trust me i'm trying." she looked out the window and shook her head. "how long does this usually take?"

i shrugged my shoulders and sat back in my seat, resting my arm on the centre console. i grabbed my phone and opened up instagram, the first post being about my win. i scrolled down a little before the car ahead slightly moved forward, as i did to.

i threw my phone in my lap and raised my hand to scratch the back of my head, as i noticed claire majorly flinch out of the corner of my eye. i lowered my arm slowly and looked over at her as she ignored me.

i looked back ahead and focused on the radio. it was playing, Heat Waves by Glass Animals. it wasn't my favourite song, but it had a nice tune to it. the cars were slowly creeping forward and after less then two minutes i shook my head and turned off the main road.

"where are we going?" claire asked as i once again shrugged. "what do you mean you don't know? how do you just not know where you are going?"

"i turn off onto a dirt road, then keep going straight into nothing. thats how i don't know," i explained looking over at her for a brief second. i actually did know where we were going, i just thought it would be fun to tease claire.

we headed straight in silence for a little before we reached the beach and i pulled into the parking lot. claire moved the glasses from her eyes up onto her head and looked around. "hope you don't mind walking, because the hotel is about a half hour walk from here," i stated before getting out of the car.

claire followed and looked across the beach as the edges of her eyes softened. i locked the car and the sound snapped her back, while i put my keys into my pocket.

when i began walking off i noticed she was just leaning against the hood of my car. "claire, come on. i want to get back to the hotel," i called crossing my arms over one another and waiting for her to at least react. but she didn't. i walked over to her and leaned against the top of the car looking over the beach with her.