.07

chalres' pov - June 17th, 2006

i was on way to one of my karting races and my younger brother and i messed around in the back seat, aimlessly playing rock, paper, scissors. "ah ha! i win!" i called as my rock broke his scissors. arthur pouted and turned to look out the window.

i rolled my eyes as my mother laughed at us. "you know that little boy you get along with charles? the one with the black hair?" my mother asked me as i nodded. "his family is going to be at the race, i want you to say hello, okay?"

i nodded as we pulled up to my karting track. i was excited to race today, something was telling me it was going to be fun. mainly because my father promised candy if i were to win today, and i was determined to win. as i jumped from the car i grabbed my helmet and my dad organised the kart while i ran off to find william.

"charles!" i heard his usual cheery voice shout as i turned and saw him waving me over. he was standing with a lot of people i didn't recognize so i was a little nervous to walk up, but i did so anyway. "this is my family from australia! my uncle dylan, aunty maria and my cousin. claire!"

"hello!" i greeted as the small girl hid behind her mother. she looked very young, at least four years old. "i'm charles marc hervé perceval leclerc. but you can call me charles," i shook dylan's hand as waved at maria.

the little girl eventually stood in front of her mother as our parent all began to speak. "claire wants to be a formula one driver just like you, but her family is too poor. so she just watches instead," william told me as claire seemed to be staring at me.

"too poor to do what she loves?!" i asked shocked that her parent could do that for her. "that seems unfair."

--:--:--:--

after the race i placed second, so instead of candy my father promised to take us all out on a family dinner and invited william's family as he placed first. "does that mean claire is coming?" i asked as arthur and claire were laughing at something. "you know i heard she wanted to be a driver. like me!" i told my father excited.

"does she always do karting?" he asked as i shook my head.

i looked back at william as he joined them planning to join him as well. "her family doesnt have the money. william said it makes her very sad, her family too." i told my father as he looked up at my mother. "why don't we sponsor her!" i let out my idea the moment it came to me.

my father cleared his throat hesitantly while glancing back at claire as the two boys were poking her and making her giggle. "please dad! i'lll do chores so we can pay for it!" i explained my plan of all the chores i could do as my parents laughed. "if i do enough i'll give the money to you, and then we can afford it!"

"you have a heart a gold charles," my mother said messing around my hair. "why do you want to help her so badly?"

i puffed my chest to seem more serious and said, "everyone deserves a chance to do what they love mom. i get to, arthur does, william sort of does, but why can't claire?"

my mother must have melted as she sighed and said, "i will think about it with your father."

i thank her wrapping my arms around her as i fell back with the others and claire hid behind william. "i'm charles. what's your name?" i asked, bending over to her height.

"claire pari," she said quietly as she came out from behind william.

i smiled at her and gave her a high five before we all caught up with our parents. i went and stood by my father as he was shaking dylan's hand. "we should tell her tonight at dinner. thank you so much mr leclerc," he said.

"please, call me hervé," my father said as i knew exactly what was going on.

once we entered the car i quickly reached over the seat and hugged my parents. "thank you," i said before we drove off.