Chapter Fifteen

This chapter is dedicated to Jane Foster x

It's been so many weeks since I was left with the Avengers, and I haven't heard from Loki since the one letter he sent. The little kitten, (which I learned is a boy so I named him Tom) has already noticeably grown since he was given to me.

I woke up with my head dully throbbing this morning, which triggered panic that I kept to myself.

I groggily stare at the table, a mug with coffee inside in my hand, when someone slides in beside me. Because of the headache and how tired I am, I don't bother to look up.

"Something wrong?" The person asks. I glance up to Bruce, who has lowered his newspaper down in worry.

"No not really." I shake my head. I think for a second, then look at him again.

"Actually, yes. I'm lonely and I miss Loki." I vent.

"Makes sense. I miss Isobel." He admits, nodding. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Who's Isobel?" I question, suddenly curious.

"My fiancé, actually." He awkwardly taps his hands on the table and I smile.

"I didn't know you had one. Can I meet her?" I persist.

"Sure." He shrugs, and the ghost of a smile appears on his face. I cough and take a sip of my coffee, not sure of what else to say. I really like Bruce, but we always seem to run out of things to talk about when we're around each other.

"About Loki-" he blurts, then shakes his head at himself.

"Keep going." I encourage. The people here have said many terrible things about Loki, with so much venom and hatred in their voices, but I just choose to ignore it.

"He'll come back for you." His words surprise me, and I look up to look him right in the eyes again.

"You think so?" My words are a little shaky, because the chance of him abandoning me here to stay away from danger or to be with another girl secretly terrified me.

"He's not the type to give up on what he believes in." he gets up and puts his cup and plate in the sink, then puts his paper on the counter. He gives me one last nod before retreating out of the room, leaving me alone once more.

His words really hit home.

I look at my hands once more and ponder. Suddenly, a red light flashes over the wall, and a loud wailing sound fills my ears.

I leap up from my seat and glance around the room. I see Clint sprinting past the door.

"What's going on?" I yell.

"Someone's terrorizing the city." He heaves. Not long after, Steve is also running past.

"Can I come with?" I question. He gives me a funny look.

"Of course not! What would the point of keeping you safe be if we took you out into danger?" He scolds in a brotherly tone. I roll my eyes. There's no way he's stopping me this time. I miss way too much action. Besides, I can take care of myself. I won't get hurt.

I wait until Natasha passes, and then I silently follow, knowing I wouldn't make it through the twists and turns of the building on my own.

Natasha boards a plane that I'm sure carries each of the rest of them, and I leap on just before they can close the door. Carefully, I slide behind a stack of important looking boxes and take a breather.

"What's the matter?" I hear Tony's voice. There's long enough pause for someone to shake their head.

"It's no one you'd expect." Coulson sighs. There are a few taps and beeps, before I hear what sounds like a familiar deep, angry voice and loud smashes. I can't help but look to take a glimpse, only to see-