6. Siddharth

Today the afternoon sun was a little gentle as the rainy season was approaching. There were many small boats moored on the wharf of the Nila River.

In one of the small boats, a boy aged between fifteen to seventeen was sitting there leisurely looking ahead as if waiting for a great drama. Suddenly a little boy asked him.

"What are you doing here?" asked a little boy standing behind Jata.

"What else can I do here? Just look ahead and you will know," replied Jata looking at the scene ahead. At this time, they were sitting in a boat, moored on the wharf.

The sound of cursing a shouting came from the opposite side of the river where they were sitting.

A thin, middle-aged woman with half of her hair yellow was chasing after a man. The man was tall and thin but appeared to be particularly strong as he was jumping from one place to another while being chased by the woman, who had a bulky bamboo in her hand and swaying it forward against the man. 

As they were nearing the riverbank, the reason for this chase can be heard from all the shouting of the couple.

"Let me go! I swear this is a misunderstanding, it will never happen again." shouted the man who was running.

"Let you go? Did you let go of my money? rascal" shouted back the women.

"It's not, my fault. It's not like I'm the only one who has done this. Put down that bamboo stick and we will talk. okay?" asked the man in a loud voice, while running for his life.

"You can do whatever you want with your silver, how dare you touch my daughter's dowry? Today I shall chop off one of your hands, then you will know."

This time the man was really frightened; he was well aware that his wife did what she said. The man turned and ran towards his wife and snatched the bamboo stick from the woman who was stunned for a moment, and ran to the roof of a temporary shed near the bank.

"Listen. I did not go there to enjoy flesh it was only because the chief was going too. I did not even touch her, we only watched her dance and sing I swear to God. Believe me wife!" shouted the man desperately.

"Who knows whether it's true or not?" snorted the middle-aged woman.

"That woman is not a scarlet woman. She is just an artist in need of money, and we just listen to her songs, If you don't believe me you can go to her too. She used to be an opera singer and I did not touch our daughter's dowry money, it's still there you should check it first before beating me up." cried the man.

The woman paused and thought for a moment, Yes, she has not checked the dowry money yet and the chief also did go there but she still asked her husband.

"If you are innocent then why are you running?" 

"Who wouldn't run away if his wife rushed towards him with a thick bamboo stick as soon as he entered the house?" replied the man with a sad expression.

The woman hesitated for a moment but chose to believe her husband.

"Okay I believe you now come down; you have to repair the cowshed and make the ropes too; we will need some more jute ropes to tie the hays."

The man came down from the shed and followed her wife to their home while complaining.

"How could you doubt your husband, wife you made me sad today."

"There is chicken curry for dinner today."

"Wife you love me. heh!"

"Who loves you?" the woman said with embarrassment and inquired "Does she sing well?"

"Let's go to listen to her singing sometime." said the man.

Their voice gradually disappeared as they farther and farther away from the river.

"Tsk! There is no drama. Aunty was coaxed too soon" Jata lamented as the opportunity to watch a drama was wasted.

"What is a scarlet woman? What is Uncle Dhanram talking about?" asked the little boy.

"You will know when you grow up. What are you doing here?"

"Ah! I forgot to tell you, brother Shikha called for a meeting, we have to gather at the foot of the mountain for training soon." replied the boy anxiously as he got off the boat.

"Why are you telling me now only, or else we are finished."

"Siddharth! Brother Shikha called us for a meeting now come out," Jata shouted towards the rivers as he ran forward.

The little boy looked back searching for his big brother figure but he did not see him.

To answer the boy's doubt Jata replied "He's searching for something underwater, don't worry about him, worry about yourself and run." As he ran as if a wild animal was chasing after him.

The river was calm but just after Jata shouted there were waves in the water. After a while, a tough-looking boy swam forward with wide shoulders and strong biceps could be seen from time to time as he swam to the riverbank.

He shook the water off his shoulder-length hair, pulling it backward. The afternoon sun dyed his tanned skin a bronzed complexion, making him look like a warrior.  He picked up his shirt placed it in the mini boat and ran in the direction of Jata and the little boy. With a height of 6 ft', he soon caught up with the two boys and teased them.

"Run fast if you still want to have dinner at night." With that, he suddenly picked up the little boy to his shoulder and ran with the speed of the wind.

"Wait for me! Ahh! wait! My god how fast do I have to run wait! Siddharth!" Jata ran while shouting at the top of his lungs.

The little boy on Siddhart's shoulder giggles as he listens to his big brother's hysteric plea.

A/N: I'm ashamed to say the character's appearance description sucks.