Chapter One

~Carmen's POV~

I walk though the doors of the BAU with fake confidence. It's only the first day of my second week working with the FBI and I'm still nervous.

"Good morning, Brooks. " Hotch greets me as I walk past his office.

"Good morning." I reply as I continue on to my desk, my heels clacking on the hard wood. When I get to my desk I set my purse down and sit in my computer chair. A yellow sticky note stares at me from my computer screen.

Happy second week,
Your partner is Reid until further notice. You can find him by the coffee maker in the mornings.
-- Hotch

I smile outwardly but on the inside I'm cringing. I am excited to have a partner, but working with Reid might be a struggle, what if he thinks I'm stupid or not qualified for the job?

I peel the sticky note off my screen and after a couple calming breaths, suck up all my courage and stand to go find Reid. I bumped into him a couple times my first week so I know who I'm looking for thankfully.

When I get to the coffee maker I see Reid leaning against the counter and staring at a yellow sticky note in his hand. As if sensing my presence he looks up at me and smiles.

"Hey." I say cautiously. "I'm Carmen Brooks, your new partner." I hold up the matching sticky note for proof.

"I know. You ready?"

"For what?"

"Morning meeting in the board room." He says and a smile tugs at the corner of his lips.

"Oh. Sure..." I say awkwardly.

~•~•~•~•~

"Okay, team." J.J. Starts off the meeting. "This is Gracie Walters, age 7" JJ says as she clicks through some pictures on the screen. "She didn't come home last night from school and her parents are frantic. This morning they found her backpack nailed to their front door, dripping blood."

"Was it hers?" Morgan asks.

"No. We ran it through the lab and found that it was pigs blood... But this does look like the signature of a serial killer that was locked away a couple years ago."

"So someone is copying the killer's signature." Reid says.

"That's what we think, considering Anderson is still in prison." JJ finishes.

"So why did it come to us?" I ask. "If it's only one little girl and we don't even know who this person is... Why is the case in our hands?"

"They just found two more backpacks." Says JJ.

"So he's on a spree now?" Reid questions.

"Yes, we have to assume so considering he's never taken two at once." JJ replies.

"Did they ever find the little kids that the original killer took?"

"What was left of them." Hotch fills in and I suppress a shudder. "Wheels up in thirty."

~•~•~•~•~

We touch down in Chicago and head to the local police station where police chief Daniels greets us.

"Agents Hotchner, Reid, Morgan, Jareau, and Brooks." Hotch says introducing us.

"Chief Daniels, how are you?" The chief ask and they shake hands. "An anonymous tip came in after your interview with the media saying that their neighbor, John Miller, fits the description but hasn't been home lately."

Morgan whipped out his phone and called Garcia. "Baby Girl I need you to work me some magic for me. Find the address of a guy named John Miller, can you do that?" There was a pause and then Morgan laughed. "Okay, thanks Baby Girl." And with that he hung up. Even after a week of them trying to convince me, something still screamed relationship. They would make such a cute couple, maybe they were just afraid of a little commitment.