Chapter Six

~Spencer's POV~

I take a deep breath, straighten my sweater vest, and knock.

A kind, middle aged couple opens the door and the woman smiles but the man looks confused. I clear my throat.

"Is this the Brooks residence?" I ask sheepishly. The woman nods and lets me in. I sit on the couch with them, my knees trembling. I haven't even met Carmen's parents before and I'm terrified. My parents haven't met Carmen either, and I wonder if we're rushing things.

"Mr. and Mrs. Brooks, I've been dating your daughter Carmen for a while now and she's the love of my life. I was hoping you would grant me the honor of having Carmen's hand in marriage." Even while I say it, it sounds like a question. Mrs. Brooks smiles and Mr. Brooks still looks skeptical.

"And how come you've never come around before?" He almost snarls.

"Never mind him." Mrs. Brooks tells me and chuckles. "We've heard so much about you. You've really made Carmen feel special."

"Thank you. She really is something special." I agree.

"You're absolutely right. She deserves respect and that's what she'll get." Mr. Brooks tells me. I nod sincerely. "If you can promise me to put her first in everything you do and promise to be loyal until you both shall die... Then you may marry her."

"Thank you sir." I say and turn to thank Mrs. Brooks when he pulls me close.

"And Spencer," he whispers in my ear. "She is my only daughter. If she so much as comes home with a bruise out of place, I will call the authorities and have you arrested. She's gone through a lot, don't ever take advantage of her."

"Yes, sir, I would never dream of it."

~•~•~•~•~

I drive to the BAU with a box in the passenger seat as Mr. Brooks' words echo through my mind. She's been through a lot. I wonder what he meant but even so, keep looking over at the box with anticipation and cannot possibly wait to get to the office. Yesterday was Carmen's first day back at the BAU and everyone is super protective of her leg.

Garcia comes to her desk hourly and checks to make sure she's okay and JJ keeps her in the loop about cases that she's not allowed to help with, yet.

I look over at the box one more time and turn into the FBI parking lot. I don't know what's in it and I don't think I will until Carmen opens it.

Carmen's parents only told me three things about the box: one that it was a gift from her grandmother before she died of cancer, two that it was to be given to Carmen upon proposal, and three, that Carmen was the only one that could open it using the key her grandmother gave her.

I don't even think Carmen knows what's in it, but her parents did warn me not to buy a wedding ring, that it was a tradition for the ring to be passed down from grandmother to granddaughter. I park my car and go to the other side, gingerly picking up the box and nudging the door closed behind me. The old wood feels rough under my hands.

I walk up the steps and get on the elevator, my hands sweating. By the time I get to the right level I'm so nervous I think I might puke. The elevator doors open and I walk up to Carmen's desk. I already told everyone about the proposal and their eyes follow me, some pulling out their iPhones to take pictures and videos.

"Carmen?" I ask. She looks up from the case file she's working on and smiles at me. She looks down curiously at the box in my hands and recognition crosses her face. Her eyes fill with tears and I get on one knee, holding the box out in front of me in replacement of a ring box.