Chapter Eight

~Carmen's POV~

I haul my backpack onto my shoulder and reach for my carry on, only to see fingers already wrapped around the handle. Everything is blurry through the unshed tears brimming in my eyes. I look up to see Spencer with my carry on, pulling it in the direction of the car.

I follow dutifully behind him, dragging my combat boots. He opens the back and lifts my carry on into the compartment behind the back seat. I hand him my backpack and lean against the side of the car, dread controlling even the smallest movements.

"Spencer." I whisper. "I-- I don't know if I can do this." The words tumble out of my mouth and over each other.

"Carmen." Spencer says, taking me in his arms. "I know you can. I love you."

"Spence...? Do you think we're rushing things?" I choke out, still leaning against the car, my energy shot.

"What do you mean?" He asks, titling my chin up to face him.

"The wedding. Our relationship. I don't know, I just feel like everything is falling apart at the seems and I don't want th--that to happen to our relationship." I say, the tears finally dropping down my face. He wipes them away.

"Carmen. I will never leave you. No matter what happens." He says reassuringly. "Come on, your going to miss your flight."

"Spence?"

"Yeah, Carmen?"

"I don't want to go." I admit. "I'll miss you so much."

"Is that the only reason?" He asks, guiding me into the front seat.

"I don't know what to expect... But other than that... Yeah." I say, confused. Spencer smiles at me from the drivers seat.

"Then you have nothing to be worried about. I'll be right here." He says, pointing to my heart.

"Thanks Spence." I say, a little more reassured now.

~•~•~•~•~

We get to the airport and to security, time slipping through my fingers like sand. We're almost to the front of the line, the tears forming in my eyes again.

"Spencer. Promise me this one thing, okay?" I say, turning to him.

"Anything."

"No matter what happens. Know that you are the love of my life. I love you, and if I were to do everything over again. I wouldn't change anything. Not the fight, or the embarrassment. Not being stabbed or even going on this mission. I wouldn't change anything because everything happens for a reason, and I'm grateful for the time I had with you."

"Carmen. I would change only one thing." He says, looking me in the eye.

"What's that?"

"I would have done this a lot more." He says and dips me, right in the middle of the airport, laying a kiss on my lips. I laugh and kiss him back.

"Me too." I say after he pulls me back up. I hand my boarding pass to the security guard with a shy smile, knowing she saw what just happened.

~•~•~•~•~

On the plane I suck up all my courage and wipe the tears from my face again. Three hours and four plane changes would bring me to some unknown country in a dangerous situation with criminals I had never faced before. So why had they asked me into this mission? What's so important about me? I question myself, trying to prepare for what the future holds.

"Excuse me." The man next to me asks. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just hard to say goodbye to my fiancée." I say, smiling as best I can.