Chapter Fourteen

~Spencer's POV~

I sit up on the stiff couch and glance over at Carmen who is restlessly sleeping on her hospital bed. Her hair tangles around her fingers as she reaches one hand up to touch her head subconsciously.

I sigh as I picture her long hair shaved off and her bald head with fresh scars crisscrossing her perfect skin. The chemotherapy that the doctors tried isn't working and they aren't even going to put her through the third round.

It's only been a week since the wedding and they're already going to put her through brain surgery.

~Carmen's POV~ (5 hours later)

I'm sitting upright in bed playing a board game with Garcia when I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in." I call, glancing at Garcia. A nurse walks in with Spencer and Morgan. The boys sit on the couch and Garcia joins them, taking the board game with her.

"How are you feeling?" She asks in a mundane voice, like she really doesn't care how I am.

"Fine." I reply. "Tired."

"That's normal with your condition." She says, the same monotone in her voice. I subconsciously reach up to my head but jerk back when I feel my hair braided into bumpy cornrows, still not used to it being there. Spencer was just relieved to know that they weren't shaving it all off.

The nurse preps me for surgery and I say my goodbyes to my friends.

"Wait!" Garcia calls after me as the doctors start wheeling me out of the room. "I almost forgot to give you this!" She reaches into her tote and pulls out a plush turtle, tucking it into the crook of my arm. "To remind you that you are strong, like the shell. And you can get through this." She says and gives me a comforting smile.

"Thanks, Garcia, that means a lot." I say and try to breath deeply, willing the medicine to to come faster. I count silently in my head to see how long it takes and to keep my mind focused on something, but loose consciousness before I reach 15.

~•~•~•~•~

I come out of surgery with a killer migraine. I reach up to put pressure on it, trying to calm the pain but my hand is caught before I can get halfway.

"Honey." A female voice says, making me jump. "We didn't fix it yet, but it's still not a wise decision to touch your head." Immediately a million questions zip around my brain, causing it to hurt more.

"What-" I croak. "What do you mean you... Didn't fix..." I say, still woozy from the medicine. My eyes start to clear up a bit and I whip my head around, searching for Spencer.

"Sweetheart, you didn't go through surgery." She says and I finally regain my vision.

"What do you mean?" I ask, frantically looking around at my surroundings. I see grey everywhere. Dark. Dreary. Grey. Nothing else. "Where the heck am I? Where is Spencer?!" I demand, getting scared and angry.

"Carmen, honey. Slow down, it's okay. Your at the I.C.U. in Moorfield. It's okay. Spencer is at Redgrass hospital in Virginia." The nurse says gently, smoothing my hair - the hair she just told me not to touch.

"What do you mean 'in Virginia' what state am I in?!" I ask, having a small panic attack.

"Carmen you're in a New York hospital. They had to life flight you here when you stopped breathing during surgery." She says and I try to sit up on the narrow hospital bed. "Carmen, lay down. It's okay." Instead of listening to her words I reach up and wrap my hand around the front of her hospital scrubs, pulling her close.