Chapter Seven

~Carmen's POV~

(One month since the proposal)

"Hey, Spence, when does Emma's flight arrive?" I ask and Spencer checks his watch. We're sitting on the couch together with my head in his lap. He's stroking my hair and I'm trying not to fall asleep.

"In one hour, nine minutes, and twenty three seconds." He says.

"How long does it take to get to the airport?" I ask, suddenly frantic.

"One hour without traffic."

"Holy crap! Spencer, get up. Where's the keys?" We both jump up and scramble to find the keys and get out the door. I look outside and see dark clouds.

"Spencer..." I say slowly and he turns around. "Do you think they'll be able to land in that weather?"

"Well depending on the wind patterns and altitude of the clouds... I'm sure they'll be fine." He says hurriedly and I'm extremely thankful for the short explanation. I grab my hoodie and an extra one for Emma just in case she forgot hers. We make it out the door and to the car without any major hiccups.

When we pull onto the freeway my breath catches. There are cars backed up for as far as I can see.

"Backroads, Spence." I say and lay my head against the headrest. She's going to kill me. I think to myself.

~•~•~•~•~

We make it to the airport an hour late.

"Spencer, what if she's mad?" I ask nervously.

"Carmen. You've known her since you were four. She's your best friend. What are you worried about?"

"Your right." I sigh. "I'm just really worried. I haven't seen her for years, ever since she moved to London." I say, looking around the terminal.

"Hey." Spencer says, pulling me into a hug. "You'll be fine." He says and I snuggle into his chest. He smells like coffee and clothes detergent.

"Thanks Spence." I say and turn around, peering between bodies to find Emma. Suddenly I spy her blue eyes and dirty blond hair from across the terminal. Our eyes lock and I tear away from Spencer, running toward her full throttle. She does the same, weaving between people and objects in our way.

When I'm about two feet away I try to slow down a bit, but it doesn't matter, we wind up on the floor anyway.

"I missed you so much!" I tell her and she nods, tears in her eyes. Are you happy to see me or did it hurt when I landed on you?" I joke and she laughs.

"I think you broke my rib, but I'm happy to see you too." She adds. I stand up and offer my hand to her. She takes it and I pull her off the ground.

"Where's your luggage?" Spencer asks from behind me, being a gentleman as always. Then I notice something, his eyes. They seem a little sad as he looks at the ground. Maybe it's something I would have overlooked before joining the BAU, but now I see it clear as day.

Emma leads us over to her bench and Spencer takes her suitcase. Emma carries her purse and walks with us to Spencer's car. We make small talk on the way back to my apartment but I can't get the thoughts out of my head. Was that jealousy I saw in his eyes?

"Carmen!" I hear Emma say, snapping me out of my trance.

"Sorry, what?" I ask.

"I was asking what you wanted to do on my first day back." She says, rolling her eyes at me.

"Isn't it your decision?" I ask.

"Fine. We could go to the mall or the movies or something... Or..." She says playfully. I glance at Spencer.