Chapter 8

Emmy's POV

"Can you please chill out? My head is pounding and we're walking too fast," Sophia complained as we made our way toward the track.

I laughed at my friend, slowing down, but just slightly. It had been an excruciatingly long week and I was beyond excited to see Arthur. Other than running into each other on Saturday and very briefly at a restaurant on Wednesday, I hadn't seen him at all. I'd been out almost every night with Sophia and Arthur had been training or at his own events. 

But today was F2 quali and I had a spot waiting for me in the garage.

We scanned our paddock passes, and I practically dragged Sophia down to the Ferrari garage. Right before we arrived, someone called my name.

Arthur.

I turned and before I could second guess myself, I launched myself into his arms, kissing him firmly. He chuckled deeply and pulled back but kept his arms around me.

"Well, that was a better hello than I was expecting," Arthur said, smiling widely at me.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so happy to see you."

"You never have to apologize for kissing me, pretty girl," He assured me.

"If you two are done now, the sun is hot and I need to sit down," Sophia interrupted, tapping her foot. Arthur rolled his eyes at our friend but moved us all in the direction of the garage.

As we arrived, I saw Lorenzo and Charles towards the back of the garage. It looked like Charles had just finished his practice session and they were debriefing. I knew it wasn't going to be possible, but I was hoping to keep my distance from them today. It had been nice not worrying about saying or doing the wrong thing in Lorenzo's eyes and I was feeling anxious about being on display today. 

It was why I brought Sophia with me, hoping she could provide a bit of a buffer between us.

"How do you feel about quali?" I asked Arthur, reminding myself of why I was here. To support my boyfriend.

"I think it'll be okay. The car feels good. I struggled a bit in the last practice session, but I do love this track," he said as I nodded.

"I'm predicting pole position," I said and smiled broadly at him.

He laughed, "Look at you using race terminology, you been studying?"

"Oh yeah, made flashcards and everything," I said jokingly.

"Don't let her fool you," Sophia joined in. "She's been watching old races. She's totally been studying."

I hit my roommate on her arm and rolled my eyes. But she wasn't wrong. I had been watching old races, trying to get a feel for the sport. I figured I'd learn better by watching than trying to memorize all the rules that Arthur had been teaching me.

"Not surprised that you're a good student Emmy," Charles interjected smoothly as he and Lorenzo joined us. I blushed, feeling embarrassed now and noticed Sophia give Charles an odd look at this comment.

"Arthur, you need to get ready for the session, let's go," Lorenzo stopped the conversation from continuing.

"You got it boss man," Arthur gave Lorenzo a cheeky smile and turned to me. "Watch the session from here and I'll see you after."

"Okay," I nodded. "Drive fast but safe."

He smiled at me and nodded before kissing me quickly and leaving me with his brothers and Sophia.

"So, you seem like you've been having a good week," said Lorenzo once Arthur was out of earshot.

I looked at Lorenzo, trying to figure out the intent behind his statement.