Chapter 16

ARTHUR'S POV

If the last two months had been hell, then the last two weeks had been heaven.

I had been in agony while Emmy and I were apart. Being with her made me happier than I had ever been, and it killed me to know that I had hurt her so badly in the wake of her confession. But more than anything I was mad at myself for how I had managed everything before that - my brothers, disclosing our relationship to the world, etc. 

Charles and Lorenzo hadn't helped the situation, but I should have been better. I knew that.

So, when Emmy told me that she loved me and was willing to give us another try, I knew that I needed to respect her wishes and take this slow. To do it better than I did before.

And so, instead of doing what old Arthur would do - like flying us to Paris for the weekend - I had been taking her on every cliché, normal date I could think of. 

We'd gone to the movies. I took her mini golfing. And instead of the fancy restaurants that I'd normally pick, we'd gone to small cafes and pizza parlors. Emmy seemed happier with all those than any of the extravagant dates I had taken her the first time around.

I was definitely doing it right this time.

I had picked Emmy up from her dorm a little while ago and we were walking along the harbor, hand in hand. It felt so good to just spend time with her again.

"So, what's your plan for tonight?" Emmy asked me softly, while we avoided a group taking photos.

"No plan," I said quickly. "Figured we could just walk and see where we end up."

She gave me a side look and I knew she didn't believe me. Nor should she - I had a plan. I always had a plan. But it was a simple plan - I was taking my girl for ice cream.

"Arthur," she said in what I'm sure she thought was an admonishing tone, but God she was cute.

"Okay, Okay. I have a plan," I confirmed. "We're walking in the direction of my favorite ice cream shop. I thought we could grab something and sit on the dock or the beach or something. Just us and ice cream."

Emmy smiled brightly at me, "That sounds amazing."

Her smile was infectious. Or maybe I was just whipped. Not that I really cared. I was going to do anything and everything to make sure she didn't regret her decision to take me back.

As we approached the ice cream shop, Emmy was excitedly running through her options. "Cookie dough would be nice. Or maybe salted caramel. Oh! Maybe I'll get the cookies and cream - it's so good!"

I laughed at her enthusiasm. "We both know you're going to get the black raspberry. It's your favorite."

She smiled at me gently, "It is my favorite. You remembered."

"I remember everything about you, pretty girl," I said earnestly.

Emmy smiled even brighter. "That's the first time you've called me that since we got back together."

She was right. Part of my plan to take things slow had also included not calling her by her nickname. I wasn't sure if she'd still like it after everything and didn't want to make her uncomfortable. But based on the look on her face, it didn't seem like she minded.

"Do you want me to start using it again?" I asked carefully and she nodded at me enthusiastically.

"Yes, absolutely. I've missed it," Emmy admitted as she blushed slightly. The blush. This girl was going to kill me. But what a way to go.

I nodded at her once, and gently cupped her cheek as I leaned down and pressed my lips against hers. I wanted nothing more than to deepen the kiss and haul her back to my apartment, but I was taking things slow.