Chapter 17

"So, what do you think? The purple dress or the black one?" Sophia asked as she stood in front of the mirror in our dorm room, holding up two options for tonight.

I was sitting on my bed, killing time until I needed to start getting ready while Sophia went through our closet.

It was Thursday night, and Sophia had an invite for us at one of the newest clubs in Monaco. She had been talking about it all week and when I confirmed that I would not be going to Belgium with Arthur, she was over the moon. And I couldn't help but be excited too.

Arthur had left for Spa yesterday with Charles and Lorenzo. He had asked me to join him one last time, with Charles and Lorenzo throwing in their support, but I held firm and said no. I had meant what I told him, I wasn't quite ready to make my way back to the paddock - even if I had made up with the Leclerc brothers.

So, with Arthur out of town, spending the night partying with my best friend seemed perfect.

"Umm, the purple one. It'll look great with that new gold bag you bought," I voted, and she nodded joyfully.

"Perfect. And you can wear the black one," she giggled and tossed the dress over to me. "I bet Louis will love it."

I sighed heavily. Sophia was still not Team Arthur and had been trying to push me towards Louis over the last few weeks. I was trying to be patient, but if I was being honest, it was starting to get on my nerves.

"Sophia. We've been through this. I'm with Arthur and I have no interest in Louis. I've never been interested in Louis."

"So, you keep saying!"

"Yes, Sophia," I replied in a deadpan tone. "I keep saying it because I'm with Arthur and have no interest in Louis."

Now it was her turn to sigh in my direction. "Fine, fine."

I was annoyed with the conversation and grabbed my stuff before heading to the showers.

I knew that Sophia was trying to help. That she had my best interest at heart, but what I really needed was for her to support me here.

Things with Louis had been difficult the last few weeks. It had started with our dud of a date, and he'd not been pleased when he found out that Arthur and I had gotten back together. He'd been making passive aggressive comments about Leclercs always getting what they want, and it was really bothering me. Not only that, but he'd seemed to increase his flirting, trying to convince me that I'd made the wrong decision.

It was exhausting.

And so, I just needed my best friend to accept my boyfriend and help me run interference with our friend. Was that too much to ask?

As it turned out, it was too much to ask.

A few hours later found Sophia and I in the club with our usual group of friends - including Louis. We'd had several rounds of shots already and everyone was feeling good on the dance floor.

I had been dancing closely with one of the other girls, when a pair of hands landed on my hips from behind. I pulled away slightly only to be pulled back against the man behind me. With a little more force I pulled away again and turned around.

Louis.

He quickly wrapped an arm around me and pulled me in, leaning down to talk into my ear.

"You're looking good out here Em."

I tried not to roll my eyes and instead smiled at him gently, "Thank you! You don't look too bad yourself Louis!" I tried to keep things light and neutral.