Chapter 14

While Sophia was trying to heal my broken heart with social outings, I had thrown myself into my schoolwork. My classes had taken a bit of a backseat to travelling the world with Arthur, and although my grades weren't suffering, I knew I wasn't giving it as much attention as I should be. And so, when I wasn't in class or with Sophia, I was in the library.

And often, with Louis.

I knew he liked me, but we were also in the same program, and it helped to have someone to study and talk about assignments with.

Plus, filling my head with laws of physics and formulas kept thoughts of Arthur away for just long enough to dull the ache in my chest.

That's why, despite it being almost midnight, Louis and I were locked together in a study room.

"I really don't know if I can do any more chapter outlines tonight," Louis grumbled, shaking out his fingers that had been typing for the last hour.

"How many have you finished?" I asked. We had a big exam the next week and had agreed to divide up the reviews of our chapters. I had one left.

"Two. But the last one was a beast. It's taken me hours," he pouted. "Can we call it quits for tonight?"

"I think we should power through. If we get them done tonight, then we'll have the weekend free and can pick up on Monday."

He suddenly looked brighter. "That's a great idea Em! I actually, umm, wanted to ask you about this weekend."

I knew where this was going but tried to play dumb. "I think Sophia has a ton planned. You should really text her."

"I'm sure she does," he said and laughed gently. "But I don't really care what Sophia is doing this weekend. I was hoping we could hang out. Just the two of us."

Sophia had told me this was going to happen. And even though I tended to be oblivious when it came to relationships, I knew it was coming too.

I liked Louis, I did. He was smart and handsome and always up for a party. I knew dating him would be easy and light. But the thought of being with anyone other than Arthur still made my heart hurt. I just wasn't ready.

Louis must have sensed I was about to say no because he didn't let me answer.

"I know you're still getting over Arthur, but I'm just asking that you give me a chance. I know he hurt you and made you feel worthless, but I think you're amazing."

"You're sweet Louis, really," I started, about to say no, but what he said about Arthur making me feel worthless was ringing in my head. Louis had a way of tapping into that tiny voice in my head. "I'm not going to say no. I'm just going to say not yet. But when I'm ready, ask me again."

He didn't look totally pleased with my answer, but seemed happy I didn't give him a hard no. "Okay than. Let's finish these chapters, and maybe I can convince you over the weekend."

+++

On Saturday morning I was busy cleaning our dorm and sorting laundry when there was a knock on the door. Assuming it was Sophia, who had spent the night with a boy she met at Jimmy'z and was notorious for losing her keys, I whipped open the door without much thought.

But it wasn't Sophia standing at my door. It was Pascale Leclerc. And I was speechless.

"Emmy, dear, it's nice to see you," Pascale greeted me with a gentle smile. "May I come in?"

I nodded mutely and stepped aside to let her in. As I watched her take in my room, I finally started to come to life and flushed with embarrassment at the state of our dorm.