Chapter 15

In the end, I didn't go to lunch at Pascale's and Sophia won out, forcing me to go on the date with Louis.

And the date itself was fine. Sophia had leant me a new outfit, a flowered sundress that she bought a few weeks earlier, and done my hair and make-up. Just like she had before my first date with Arthur.

Louis had been a perfect gentleman, and conversation had flowed easily. But when he'd dropped me off at the dorm, I'd purposefully gone in for a hug to avoid the awkwardness of a potential kiss.

Like I'd expected, I wasn't over Arthur. And the thought of kissing anyone other than him made me feel sick. Louis had seemed annoyed at the end of the night, but I just couldn't bring myself to care.

That had been three days ago, and since the library with Louis no longer felt like a safe space, I'd fled to the little café where I'd met Arthur. The weather was much colder than it had been that day, but no less sunny and the fresh air seemed refreshing.

I'd been working on a paper for the last hour and was ready for a refill of coffee. With my headphones in, I pushed back from my table abruptly and stood, knocking into someone.

"Oh shit! I'm sorry! Are you okay?" I said quickly as I realized I'd caused the person to spill their coffee. And as I took out my headphones, I found myself staring into crystal blue eyes.

"It's okay. I'm just a little wet," Arthur replied with a slight smirk.

I was stunned for a second, and then smiled. "Let me buy you another."

God, he looked good. And being this close to him had my heart racing, just like it always did.

"It's good to see you, Emmy," he said, his eyes shining as he looked at me.

"You too Arthur."

There was a beat of awkward silence as we both searched for what to say.

I opened my mouth to tell him that I was going to leave, but he beat me to it. "Emmy, can we please talk? I know you probably don't want to, but if you'll just give me a few minutes and then decide you still want nothing to do with me, I'll leave you alone for good."

At his last words, my heart squeezed painfully. The thought of never talking to him again made my whole body go into panic mode.

"Okay. When?"

He looked shocked. Like he thought he was going to have to work a lot harder to convince me. "Now? We can go back to my place."

I nodded and started to pack up my things. When I was ready, he led us to his car and drove to his apartment.

We had been sitting in his living room for what felt like hours but had only been minutes. Arthur had chosen one end of the couch while I was on the other.

He finally looked like he was going to say something but stopped himself. And then, with a big breath, he began.

"The first thing I need you to know is that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not listening to you, and I'm sorry for not seeing what was happening with Lorenzo and Charles. I never for a second thought that you were lying and I'm sorry for making you think that I did."

I didn't say anything as I let his words wash over me and he continued. "I knew that something wasn't right, but never in my worst nightmares did I think that Charles would ever do something like that. It was shocking for me to hear, and while I was trying to sort it out in my head, I did more harm because I made you think I didn't believe you. And I'm not sure I'm ever going to forgive myself for being so stupid."

"You never make a quick decision," I interjected, wanting to take away some of his anguish. "I should have known you needed to process it."

"No. Don't do that," Arthur insisted. "You did nothing wrong Em. All you did was tell the truth. I'm the one who failed you."

"Arthur," I started, but he cut me off.

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me. And the least I could have done is protect you. From my brothers, from the media. I did a shit job at bringing you into my life. I was selfish because I wanted you with me, and I didn't think about what you needed."

"You're what I need," I finally cut him off. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me too, Arthur."

He looked shocked. "Really?"

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

He moved closer to me on the couch, taking my hand in his carefully, waiting for me to pull away. When I didn't, he started rubbing circles on my hand with his thumb.

He took another deep breath.

"I love you so much that it hurts Em. And I don't think that I'm strong enough to not be selfish when it comes to you. Because if I was, then I wouldn't be sitting here begging you to give me another chance."

I started to cry. His confession had slid so many things into place for me.

For the first time in weeks, I felt like I could breathe. The man I loved was sitting in front of me, begging for my forgiveness and all I wanted was to say yes. The confusion I'd been feeling had given way to clarity: being with him was the only choice.

"You don't have to beg, Arthur. You only have to ask."

If I thought he was in shock before, he looked like he was going to pass out.

"I'm not going to lie, Arthur. You broke my heart. I thought you and I were better than that, stronger than that. And then it seemed like I'd never be able to compete with your brothers. That you'd always put them first. And I get that they're your family and they're all you have, but I have to know that you have my back."

"I do, Em. I promise," Arthur interjected. "I haven't spoken to Charles since Montreal, and I'm looking for a new manager to replace Lorenzo, so I can have a little more independence from them. I think it will be better for me to be on my own."

I nodded but frowned. "Your mom came to see me," I started, and he looked surprised. "She's worried about you. And your brothers. And the three of you being so mad at each other. I'm not sure cutting them out is the answer."

Arthur tried to speak, but I shushed him. "I don't have siblings, so I don't really get it. But I have my dad and I know that no matter how mad at him I could ever be, I'd never be able to just cut him out. He's a part of me just like Lorenzo and Charles are a part of you. I couldn't be happy knowing I was the reason you weren't close with them anymore."

"It's not that easy Em. Charles in particular has a lot of forgiveness to earn."

I nodded, "I know that. I guess I'm just saying that us getting back together isn't dependent on you not having a relationship with your brothers."

He looked shocked again. He opened his mouth to respond but closed it again and I giggled a little. It felt good to be the one surprising him for once.

"Are we getting back together?" he finally asked softly.

I smiled. "We are," but before I could say anything else, Arthur launched himself at me, attaching his lips to mine.

I was taken off guard for a moment as I felt his soft lips again, but quickly responded to the kiss. I felt him smile, making me smile too and he took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. I slid my hand to the back of his head, pulling on the familiar strands as his hand cupped my cheek. We continued for a few more minutes before I had to come up for air and I pulled away.

Arthur's eyes were hooded and his smile wide as he looked down at me, his thumb gently caressing my cheek.

"I love you so much pretty girl," he said softly and at the familiar nickname I flooded with warmth.

"I love you too Arthur," I replied, leaning into his touch. He moved to kiss me again, but I pulled back slightly.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asked and pulled back too, clearly not wanting to make me uncomfortable.

"No, no!" I said quickly. "I just. I want to take this slow. I love you, so much, but we can't go back to how things were. We aren't starting at the beginning either, but I think we need to rebuild a little."

He nodded vigorously. "Yes, whatever you want. We can take it as slow as you need."

I smiled at him broadly and leant in for another kiss.

For the first time in months, I felt light.