Chapter 9

After the Monaco GP, I felt like I could take anything thrown at me. My studies were going well, my boyfriend's mom loved me, and I'd made it through the week without any major scandals for the F1 gossip sites. I finally felt like I was getting my feet under me and my new life at Arthur's side.

"You'll be back in time for my birthday, right?" Sophia asked me for the third time as I packed my suitcase for the Italian Grand Prix. Arthur would be here to pick me up for our flight in just over an hour.

"Yes, Sophia," I insisted. "We're flying back on Monday. An entire day before your birthday."

"But what if the plane is delayed?"

"We are flying private. The plane won't be delayed," I assured her. "You're going to have a great weekend with the girls. You won't even notice I'm gone."

"Fine. But if you miss my birthday dinner, I'm never going to forgive you."

"Sophia. I promise I will be back. I love you; you know that?" I appeased my friend, making her smile brightly.

"I love you too bitch!" There was my Sophia. "Speaking of love, have you told Arthur yet?"

"Have I told Arthur what?" I knew exactly what she was asking but tried to avoid the topic.

"Emmy!"

I laughed loudly, "No, I haven't."

"But why not? It's clear you're crazy about him." And she wasn't wrong. I was crazy about him, and I was pretty sure I loved him. But what if he didn't feel the same? He definitely liked me a lot, but that didn't mean he loved me. What if I said it first and he didn't say it back? I'd never told a boy, other than my dad, that I loved them.

"It's a big deal to say," I finally admitted. "And we haven't been dating for that long. I'm not in a rush."

"I'm not sure it really is a time thing, but whatever. You'll say it when you're ready. I'm sure he's going to say it first anyway."

I shook my head at her and checked my phone, seeing a text from Arthur that he was on his way.

Before long, Arthur had arrived, and we made our way to the airport. This time, we were early. We were flying with Charles, Lorenzo and Pierre, and I had been very clear with Arthur that we would not be late. I was still trying to prove to Lorenzo that I was worthy of being with Arthur and the bare minimum was being punctual. In fact, I had a feeling it may earn me some points because I had learned that Arthur was perpetually late, and it drove his brothers crazy.

Things were going my way because when we stepped onto the plane, we were the first ones there. Lorenzo arrived next, looking surprised to see us and I tried not to look smug.

"Arthur, Emilia, nice to see you've learned from our last flight," Lorenzo voiced as he sat down. This man was the king of backhanded compliments. Dickhead.

"Emilia's always on time," Arthur immediately shared. "Almost annoyingly so."

"Being on time isn't annoying Arthur, it's respectful," I replied.

"That's right, Arthur, it's not cool to be late," Lorenzo added in and gave me a small smile, seemingly pleased with the expectation I was laying out for his brother.

I was too shocked to say anything else and could see out of the corner of my eye that Arthur was grinning broadly, as Lorenzo pulled out his phone. We lapsed into a comfortable silence as we waited for Charles and Pierre to appear.

Thankfully, we didn't have to wait long, the two men appearing like models walking off a runway.

"Brothers!" Charles greeted, giving them each a fist bump. "And the spectacular, Emilia. Lovely to see you as always."