025|Growing Pains

.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。* ∞*⍋⋆*❅。

"Time was passing like a hand wavingfrom a train I wanted to be on

from a train I wanted to be on. I hope
you never have to think about anything
as much as I think about you."
-Jonathan Safran Foer
.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。*∞*⍋⋆*❅。

In the Wheeler basement, four boys from the group of five were sprawled around. Mike had taken residency on the large couch, Lucas paced around as Will set up a game of D&D and Floyd was cradling a can of coke as he leaned against a side of the brown loveseat by the couches.

"What's wrong with me?" Mike yammered as he shoved a handful of nacho-cheese Doritos into his mouth without much care and covered himself in crumbs. "What did I do wrong?" He groaned.

"Nothing."

"Lie."

Lucas and Floyd spoke in sync before each glaring at one another.

Mike ignored the dual answers he got from two of his best friends. "What did I do wrong?" He dropped the bag onto his chest. "What could I have done wrong?"

A loud and deep sigh came from Lucas who took a seat by Mike's feet. "Mike, do I have to go through this again?" He threw up his hands in exhparation. The boy shook his head and adjusted his green cap that once upon a time had belonged to Mike.

"I don't understand what I did to deserve this," Mike whined once more.

Once more, Lucas fired back. "Nothing! Nothing! That's my whole point... You are the victim here!" He exclaimed, waving his hands around as he did.

Just as Mike started agreeing with Lucas, Floyd cut in. "What? No?" His brows knit together and he looked at his two friends. Mike and Lucas repeated Floyd's question in utter confusion and the Henderson pushed himself up. "You lied to her, that's not a good thing, Mike," Mike butted in, saying that he had to. "Yeah well that's what you think you had to do," Floyd rested his hands on his hips and then turned his gaze to Lucas. "Stop encouraging him being an ass."

"OH, I'M being the ass??" Mike asked, anger boiling over, he shot up into a seating position to glare at Floyd. "They are being crazy! You just don't get it because you don't have a girlfriend," Floyd bit his tongue and looked down at his lightsaber socks. Sensing Floyd's genuine upset, Mike pushed himself up and rested a hand on Floyd's shoulder, making the shorter boy look up at Mike. "I didn't want to lie," Deciding it was enough of an apology, Mike turned back to the couch and dropped himself down face first. "WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!?" He cried, voice muffled by a pillow on the couch.

Floyd opened his mouth to say something but stopped when Lucas held out a hand. "Mike..." The groaning continued. "Mike, stop," Lucas droned again as he pulled up a knee onto the arm of the couch and folded it over his other leg, khaki shorts riding up as he did. "Just relax. Relax. Okay?" Lucas eyed the back of Mike's head for so long that the dark-haired boy rolled over in his wallowing pit of self-pity. "Stop asking rational questions."