Chapter 2 - Lafayette

Carla sat across from me with her legs crossed, hands folded in her lap. Her sleek, black hair was in a ponytail and her lips were pursed. Marion was standing behind her. He was wearing a monochromatic teal jumpsuit. He was the only one that could pull off something like that. His beard and black hair slicked back paired well with the teal and his bronze complexion. They looked so professional, caricatures of what they looked like when I first met them, over a decade ago, when we were in college. Carla's hair had been wavy, always down to her hips. She'd only wear band t-shirts and ripped denim. Marion was ahead of the curve, stylish in his own right, his hair down to his shoulders. We used to jam out everyday, but it had been a long time since we played together. It had been a long time for a lot of things.

    "I think he's exactly what you need," Carla said.

    "I'm not interested in finding a replacement," I said. "It's not necessary."

    "How is it not necessary? Don was a great asset."

    "Because he was Don, not because he was just my assistant." I crossed my legs and rested my chin in my hand. I looked over to Don's empty desk. He was getting lunch with Jerry.

    "And Emerson reminds me of Don, but the younger version of him," Carla said. "Besides, you need someone to manage your schedule and take your calls."

    "Don hardly did that anyway," I said, not looking at her.

    "So now is the opportunity to get someone to do it, and I think Emerson would be great. He's very punctual and eager to work. Plus, he's a big ball of energy and positivity and...I mean...he's really cute too," Carla said.

    "He is quite handsome," Marion added.

    "Right, because hiring someone because of how attractive they are is completely ethical," I said. I stood up and walked to the window, looking down at the New York City streets bustling about. "You can take him, if he wants."

    "You know that's not what we mean, Lafayette," Marion said. "I don't think he would actually be interested in women either, actually."

    "This conversation is getting inappropriate," I said flatly.

    "Marion, don't be inappropriate," Carla said.

    "Hey, he's the one who suggested it," Marion mumbled.

    "I meant take him as in take him as your own assistant," I said, turning.

    "We have assistants. You don't." Marion raised an eyebrow at me.

    "Just at least interview him," Carla said. "I think you'll like him. Like I said, he always has a positive attitude and I just-"

    Michael and Emilio entered the room, cutting Carla off. "Oh fun, what's this little meeting about? Anything we should know?" Michael asked, sitting on the couch.

    "No, not really," I said.

    "We're trying to convince him to find a replacement for Don," Carla said. "I suggested my temporary assistant, Emerson."

    "Oh he's cute," Emilio said, making me sigh.

    "Ew, don't waste your time," Michael said. "He won't hire anyone."

    "Your reverse psychology won't work on me," I said, looking outside still.

    "We think he should at least give the kid an interview," Marion said.

    "Give who an interview?"

    I turned and looked to the doorway where Don was standing. "They want me to interview an employee named Emerson, to be your replacement," I said.