Chapter 6 - Lafayette

Emerson's words played in my head. Does Michael like it when you're like that with him? Michael and I had always bickered. It's just how our personalities were. Even as kids we butted heads, but it was never serious. We always got over it and joked around, laughed, and acted like friends. And yet, as adults, we didn't do the latter that often. It was just the bickering.

For the whole day, the conversations with Emeron just played in my head. He left me curious, interested in getting to know him more. It seemed like he had a hard time not oversharing. He had ADHD. I bookmarked an article on how to support employees with ADHD. He knew Pink Floyd. He loved Whitney Houston. He was a pescatarian and didn't eat a lot. He had a twin. He said I seemed sad. He made me laugh. His best friend committed suicide. It's like he became a fully fleshed out person right before me. I wanted to know more. What is his favorite Whitney Houston song? What was his twin sister like? Why did he think I seemed sad? Why did his best friend kill himself?

Emerson buzzed in on the speaker. "I'm heading out. Have a good night, Mr. Jett."

"Goodnight, Emerson."

It was a little past five. I could only hope that I didn't scare him off of staying later. I rarely talked with him when he stayed late, but there was something nice about knowing he was there the days he stayed later than he had to. It was nice. Six o'clock rolled around. I waited until six-thirty. Richard never called past that time. I was relieved. I didn't want to talk to him on the phone. It was a good day and I wanted it to stay a good day.

A knock came on the door. "Come in," I called.

Emilio and Michael walked in. "Figured you would still be in," Emilio said. "We were just about to go get dinner at the restaurant."

"You should join us," Michael said in that matter-of-fact way that drove me nuts.

I wanted to snap back, like it was my instinct. Oh should I? I decided not to. Sometimes Michael wasn't instigating anything. It's just how he was. Even in middle school, he was a dorky know-it-all that loved yelling first! when done with a quiz. Emilio and him were truly an odd couple. Emilio was a cool guy in school. Michael had been a nerd, forced to join the football team. And yet, that's how they met and fell in love.

"Sure, I will join you," I said.

Michael did not hide the surprise on his face. "Fine. Hurry up," he said.

"Take your time," Emilio said. "We'll meet you by the elevator."

When they left I logged out of my computer. I took some stomach relief to prep for dinner. I had already felt bloated after lunch but didn't get sick. I left my jacket and then met them in the lobby. We took the elevator down to the restaurant and claimed our table that was always reserved, just for us.

The waiter took our order and then we sat on our phones in silence. I didn't have any social media apps on my phone or almost anything. I had Tetris on my phone and that's what I was always playing. I was very good, even when it was getting fast. I liked building the blocks high and then clearing four rows at a time. The screen would light up with TETRIS when I did that. It was satisfying.

"So, I saw a little shadow leaving your office early this morning," Michael said. "Or I guess I should say, Emerson's office. What's their name?"

I shrugged. "Never learned it," I said, still playing Tetris. This was a lie. I did know their name. His name was Brandon...maybe Brendon.

"What is Liam up to these days?" Emilio asked.

I shrugged again, pausing my game and setting my phone down, saying, "How should I know?" Liam was somewhat of an ex. We broke up six months ago, but our relationship had been very casual and open. When he found someone who gave him more attention, he realized he wanted a more committed relationship, so we broke up.