Chapter 25 - Emerson

I bit my tongue as I stared blankly at the computer, trying my hardest to not bash my head against it. While Lafayette was in a meeting, for whatever reason, Marcus Kingsley sat perched on the edge of my desk. He was going on and on and on about anything and everything going on in his life. I had no idea why he was sitting on my desk talking to me. We had barely exchanged words since the first day he infiltrated the office.

"Anyway, what's going on with you? Are you seeing anyone?" he asked.

"No," I said, surprised he was acknowledging me. "I'm not seeing anyone and I'm not super interested in seeing anyone."

"Ok, well are you getting any?" he asked, looking at me up and down.

"Is that question appropriate for the workplace?" I asked, my neck flushing red.

"For gay people in the fashion industry it is," he said. "God, you're boring."

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes. "Jesus, I don't know why Lafayette said I should talk to you."

"I don't know why he would say that either," I said, trying to not think about it.

"He's like, so obsessed with you, and I literally don't know why. I mean, he's kind of boring too so maybe that's why. You're both boring together."

I looked up at him to gauge the expression on his face. Lafayette was not obsessed with me. "Well, boring is fine with me, so," I said.

"Ugh, you are so annoying."

"I can't believe how brazen you are," I said, but I was almost envious of it. I wouldn't be brazen to be rude like him, though.

"I literally don't know what that means," he said, pulling out his phone.

I rolled my eyes next but didn't say anything. I was hoping he would leave, but of course he didn't. He sat next to me and played on his phone. A moment of silence passed, and then Lafayette walked in from his meeting. "How did it go?" I asked.

"It of course could have been an email," Lafayette said, standing in front of my desk.

Marcus eyed him over his shoulder and then went back to playing on his phone.

"Marcus, is there anything we can help you with?" Lafayette asked.

Marcus glanced at me and then to Lafayette. "No," he said.

Lafayette nodded, smirking at me. "Well, don't mind us then," he said. "I'm sure whatever you are doing you are hard at work."

"I'm on Grindr, actually," Marcus said.

"How's that going for you?" I asked. "I wasn't paying attention earlier when that's all that you would talk about."

Marcus rolled his eyes. "Oh my god, and you think I'm rude," he said. "You know, Lafayette said you were a good listener. I don't know about that."

I smiled up at Lafayette. "Oh, I see, Lafayette had to find a way to pawn you off onto someone else."

Marcus huffed. He looked between the two of us and went back onto his phone, still sitting perched on my desk. "Lafayette, don't you have work to do?" he asked.

Lafayette sighed, and said, "Yes, I will go ahead and go work then," he said. He nodded at me and then walked into his office, shutting the door.

Marcus turned off his phone and glared down at me. "Are you two fucking?" he asked.

"Oh my god, no, of course not," I said. "And again, this isn't appropriate for work."

"He likes you," Marcus said. "Trust me, I was with him for a few years, I can tell. He kind of hated me and I kind of hated him, but you two. Totally different vibes. Too bad for you, though, he is adamant that he won't fuck one of his employees."