Chapter 31 - Emerson

After Christmas, life was fine. I was so happy for Faye for reconnecting with his family, even if it was just a little reconnection. His mother even managed to crochet me a navy blue scarf on Christmas Eve so I wasn't the only one not getting a gift Christmas morning. Offices were closed the 26th, so I just stayed at Faye's and watched movies with him. Then we went back to work, but the floor was empty because Michael and Emilio took the week off. They were going to return the 30th, just in time for New Year's.

I decided that I could not do anything about my feelings for Faye. I was in love with him and I couldn't do anything to stop loving him. If it happened naturally, so be it. If I one day would meet a new person who grabbed my attention, that was fine. I couldn't act on my feelings but I couldn't deny them. Sometimes, I liked to think Faye had feelings for me as well, like when he would fall asleep with his head on my chest or when he would smile softly at me with that certain look in his eyes like he wanted to kiss me... But then, he'd turn his head and a shadow would cross his face. What was he thinking? Why did he fade away like that?

It was clear Faye was trying to work on himself. He did yoga almost every morning. He tried to cook more and binge-eat less. He was smoothing the relationship with his family. It was impressive to see him be pretty successful so far. So this was another reason I didn't want to act on my feelings. He just needed a friend to support him. I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize this journey of his.

That being said, my heart ached for him. When he would nap on me, I never wanted to leave that position. I didn't need a fancy weighted blanket like the one his mother got him because he was my weight blanket. My body ached for him, too. When he would change his shirt in front of me, when he would be in his workout clothes, when he would sit on the edge of his desk with his leg propped open, his groin pointing right in my direction...I wanted him. I could barely even get onto dating apps to find a hook up because I would just think of him and have to either take a cold shower, take care of myself then, or both. The only sense of relief I had was that it appeared Lafayette was not very sexually active. I didn't know what he did every night, but there was just something in me that could tell.

On New Year's Eve, the party was going to be in the event hall a few floors below our offices. The room was decorated beautifully, with lots of glitz and glam. The catering smelled amazing. The drinks were bottomless and free. Lafayette also let me wear a gorgeous outfit from his collection. It was a black pair of wide leg pants with a cinched waist. My top was a black button-up with some ruffling around the collar and sheer shoulders, so it was a little sexy. I put on some subtle makeup and my leather boots with a slight heel.

Faye told me to meet me in his office after getting ready downstairs in Marion's studio. He wasn't in there at first, so I texted him. A moment later, Faye popped his head out of the room I never go into. "Hello," he said. "You look great."

"Thank you," I said. "Are you ready?"

"No, sorry, not yet." He paused. "You can come in."

I almost asked if he was sure, but decided to not miss up on the opportunity. I pranced over to the super secret mystery room, following Faye. When I stepped inside, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. I wasn't underwhelmed, maybe a little surprised, but upon examining the room I realized I shouldn't have been surprised. Of course it was a small apartment. It was so simple compared to the townhouse. I liked it, though. It was so lived in.

"So this is where you hide away at, huh?" I asked.

"Sometimes," he said. "Not as often. Half the time I just use the shower." He walked over to the bathroom area and brushed his teeth.

"You look nice, by the way. Great outfit."

He was wearing the sleeveless turtleneck and teal blazer, a gold chain and his gold rimmed glasses accenting the look.