Chapter 15 - Emerson

On the Friday before the Sunday I moved in, I tried to not mope around the office. I was going to miss staying at Lafayette's. I was going to miss the park view on the balcony over coffee in the morning with Faye. I was going to miss helping him cook in the kitchen or taking forever to decide what to order in. I was going to miss watching our shows over dinner. I was not going to miss the bed because Lafayette insisted I keep it, which I was thankful for. Most of all, I was going to miss knowing that I was not alone in the home at night. I tried not to think about how anxious I was going to get on my first night alone in the apartment.

Lafayette said he was going to make Saturday a fun day for me to commemorate my last day at his place. I had no idea what this could entail, but I was looking forward to it instead of getting sad. I mean, it's not like I was never going to see him again. I was still going to see him Monday through Friday.

Friday evening, at about six o'clock, Richard called. I was not looking forward to him ruining Lafayette's evening, because my evening would be ruined, too. Nonetheless, I patched Richard through to Lafayette. I sat at my computer, trying not to pout or clench my jaw. I had no idea who he was but I did not like him. This got me curious, so I looked up his name. It wasn't too difficult to find information about him.

Richard Meyers was forty-eight and was an investment banker. Ten years ago he invested some funds into an up and coming business, Lafayette, Inc. He was removed as an investor six years ago, voted on by the board of directors. If he was removed, why was this former investor still calling six years later? Former investor. Former investor...

I let out an audible gasp when the light bulb clicked on. This had to be the man who assaulted Lafayette in the hot tub eight years ago. I had no way of knowing for sure, but it had to be the case. Something in my gut was telling me so.

I decided to do something that I definitely should not do. I picked up the phone as quietly as I could and clicked onto Lafayette's line. Maybe he wasn't aware that I could do this, but I'm sure he never thought I would listen in on a phone call. My heart rate picked up as I listened to what this disgusting man was saying to Lafayette. He was asking invasive questions. He said vile things, either sexual or offensive. Lafayette must have mentioned how he got lunch with his mother, because Richard was talking about her as well. It was when he said "Your mother probably wishes you had died instead of your sister" that I put the phone down and raced into Lafayette's office.

I ran up to Lafayette's desk, catching him off guard, and hit the receiver to end the call.

"What in the hell are you doing?" Lafayette asked.

"He shouldn't be talking to you like that," I said, my voice shaking.

Lafayette's eyes grew wide at the realization. "You were listening to my call? What the fuck is the matter with you?" he asked, his eyes wild. He stood up, yelling, "I hired you because I thought I could trust you!"

I had to ignore his anger. "Why do you take those phone calls from him?" I asked.

"It's none of your fucking business. I-"

"He's the guy from the hot tub, isn't he? I know he is. I know he is! I'm not going to let him talk to you like that," I said.

"Oh you're not, are you? Now you're going to dictate my life?" he asked.

"Well someone has to help you!" I exclaimed, tears welling up. "That's what I was hired for right? I was hired to help you."

"You're not my fucking therapist or my motivational coach. You-"

The phone on my desk was ringing. I ran into the reception area and picked up the phone. "Hello, Mr. Jett's office," I said.

"Put me through to him again. It's Richard."