Part 2: Chapter 22 & 23

(3rd Pov Clay)

Clay landed next to Tsunami and Zephyr on the grate and them jumped back as Kestrel's yellow eyes glared through the bars at him.
"What are you doing here?" she snarled.
"Rescuing you," Tsunami snapped back. "Against my will."
"Stand back," Peril said, reaching for the metal latticework. She laced her claws through the thick bars, and the sharp smell of melting iron filled the air.

Clay had never seen Kestrel look so uncertain before. She watched Peril with an uneasy expression, flicking her forked tongue in and out. Peril kept her own eyes fixed on the bars. They were much thicker than the delicate bird cage Sunny was in, and it took longer to burn through.
"I thought you were dead," Kestrel said finally.
"I thought you were dead," Peril answered without any warmth in her voice.

"I heard Scarlet had a lethal new champion," Kestrel said. "I didn't know it was you."
Peril shrugged. "I guess I didn't need you. I turned out all right with out you." Clay and Tsunami exchanged glances. "All right" wasn't exactly how Clay would have described Peril.
"You turned out all right compared to most dragons I knew," Zephyr said. He almost patted Peril with his wing to try and lighten the mood, but stopped when she glared at him. Stormcaller had said something similar last night before he left.

"Queen Scarlet took care of me," Peril went on. "She found me the black rocks I needed and gave me a purpose and place to live."
"Black rocks?" Kestrel broke in. "What black rocks?"
"Hey!" A pair of SkyWing guards came charging out of the nearest tunnel. "Stop!"

One of them made the hissing fire-breath noise and shot flame at Tsunami. Clay flung himself in the way and felt the fire blast his scales. Hot pain flashed through him, and then faded a moment later. He shook himself as the red glow ebbed from his scales and looked up into the guards shocked face.

Tsunami lunged at the other guard, slashing his side and then slamming her tail into his head. He staggered back, then threw himself on her with his large wings beating back her defense.
At the same time, Clay's guard attacked him. They grappled, and he felt her talons rake the wounds that were still healing on his back. He threw her off with a fierce heave. She skidded into the wall just as the last bar snapped, and Kestrel rose, huge and angry, out of her cell.

Clay had forgotten how big Kestrel was. her red scales were scraped and chipped in places were chains had pinned her down. Her talons looked blunted, as if she'd been clawing at the wall of her prison.
"Kill them and let's go!" she roared.

Peril darted toward the guard that had Tsunami pinned. He let go of her, but it was too late. Peril's talons caught him and sliced through his neck, leaving black scorch marks behind that bubbled and smoked. he tried to scream, and she raked his throat again, burning through the flesh and scales like they were paper.

Clay felt sick to his stomach. He was glad he hadn't eaten anything in a while. He looked down at the guard he'd been fighting. Her eyes were odd, he just realized. They were yellow but the part that was normally white, was pitch black.

A hand was placed on her shoulder. When she turned to look at who it was, her eyes filled with hope. 
It was Zephyr.
"You should leave," was all he said.
She didn't hesitate; in a flash of red, she was gone. As she fled, Clay noticed there was almost a green tint in her scales.
He turned and saw Peril's face. She knew he'd been protecting the guard - a total stranger - from her. She knew now for certain how he felt about what she did.

"You idiot," Kestrel hissed at Zephyr. "She'll raise the alarm. Queen Scarlet will catch us in moments."
"She won't," Zephyr said calmly. "She's a friend of mine."
"Who are you anyways?" Kestrel asked.
"I'm Zephyr. I'm helpin' them escape," 
"Well, where'd the NightWing go!" Scarlet hissed.