Part 3: Chapter 23, 24, 25, & 26

(Note: This will be one of the only time I will do a quadruple chapter because I am trying to cram as much stuff as possible into this before I take a break for the holidays.)

Now, enjoy the chapter.

Part Three: Out of The Egg

(3rd Pov Tsunami)

It was pitch-dark in the Royal Hatchery. Dark and horribly quiet. 
Tsunami could see in the dark, of course, but everything was grey and a little blurry. The only flashes of color came from the eggs when the dragonets in side moved. Across the cave, she could see the three male eggs peacefully leaning against one another. They had nothing to worry about.

Guards were stationed outside of the door, but Tsunami was the only one in the hatchery. As soon as the door closed behind her, she prowled around the wall, poking everything that stuck out and hoping a hole would suddenly yawn open in the floor. She circled around the statue of Orca several times, shoving and its talons and tail and pedestal. But nothing happened. there was no sign of a secret entrance anywhere.

Finally she curled up beside the egg and stared fiercely around the room.
'All right, assassin,' she thought. 'I'm ready for you.' She had a narwhal spear lying on the floor beside her, although she had no idea how to use it. But she wouldn't be taken by surprise again.

The warm jets of water billowed silently up through tiny holes in the coral, surrounding the eggs in a bath of heat and small bubbles. It was a little too hot for Tsunami, but she didn't want to move away from the egg. She poked her nose underneath it, checking again for a secret trapdoor, but the floor was smooth and polished like the egg itself.

A flutter moved in the eggshell, like a heartbeat, as the dragonet inside tried to stretch her wings. Tsunami rested her front talons on it for a moment. She wondered if Sunny was right that the dragonet could hear them. She pressed her snout up to the egg and whispered through the water.
"Don't worry. I'm here to protect you."
The tiny wings fluttered again. Tsunami leaves closer, wishing for some noise, some light, in the hot, silent, dark room.

Scrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaape.

Tsunami's head shot up.

Stillness. Darkness.

And yet . . . she had that creeping feeling that someone was suddenly in the room with her.

Scrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaape.

Her scales tingled between her wing, as if squirrels were scuttling down her back.
She stood up and flexed her claws. the one door to the hatchery was closed. the eggs were still. The only movement in the room was the blip of small bubbles rising from the floor.
But wait . . .
The statue.
Hadn't it been facing the door before?
She stared at it until her eyes hurt.
Had it turned its head? Was it looking at her?
Tsunami's whole body was shaking. She blinked through the darkness at the statue of Orca.

The  statue stared back. its eyes were sapphires, she remembered, but in the shades of grey here they gleamed as obsidian-dark and vicious as Blister's. She was sure the statue had been facing the door when she came in. But now its head was turned toward her and the egg, watching them darkly.

'Impossible,' she started to think, and then-
Scrrape. Scrrape. Scrrrrrape.
Stone claws curled around the top of the pedestal.
A stone tongue flicked between jagged sharklike teeth.

'Nobody's sneaking in,' Tsunami had a moment to think. 'The assassin's already here. She's been here all along.'
And then the statue hurtled off the pedestal, talons reaching to snatch the egg.