Part 3: Chapter 20 & 21

(3rd Pov Sunny)

"And so," Sunny finished, "I decided we shouldn't wait any longer. Maybe we'll never find the Eye of Onyx, but we can still choose a queen and end the war. Someone has to, and I think it should be us."
She paused and looked around at her friends, whose faces ranged from disbelieving to astonished to terribly worried.

"I can't believe all that happened to you," Starflight said in a low, shaken voice.
"And we weren't there to help protect you," Tsunami said, exchanging a glance with Clay.
"She did all right," Glory said unexpectedly. "Stealing the Obsidian Mirror, that was crazy-brave. Crazy and brave, I mean. And talking Peril into saving Thorn - well, that would have made me nervous."

"Also, confronting scavengers," Deathbringer chimed in. He gave a little shudder out to his wingtips. "No, no, no, thanks. Not for me."
"You're scared of scavengers?" Stormcaller asked, looking a both confused and a little disappointed.
"NO," Deathbringer said. "They just . . . give me the heebie-jeebies, that's all. With their . . . eyes and paws and . . . faces."
"That's pretty cute," Glory said. "The big bad assassin terrified of itty-bitty scavengers."
"One day I'll throw a sword-waving scavenger at you and see how tough you are," he bridled.
"Assuming you can get one in the rainforest without me knowing," Stormcaller countered.

"But, Sunny," Clay interjected, "we can't stop the war. The prophecy isn't true, remember?"
"So?" she said. "If there had never been a prophecy, would the war have to go on forever? No. It has to end sometime. I vote right now."
"But it doesn't have to be us," Starflight said, then immediately added in almost a mumbled, "Maybe it has to be us." He reached up to the leaves on his eyes, remembered they were there, and lowered his claws again.
"No!" Fatespeaker said, grabbing Starflight's talons. "It doesn't have to be you! It especially doesn't have to be you! You've done enough."

"Sunny's right, though," he said. "Why shouldn't it be us? Maybe everyone else is waiting for the prophecy and so they don't realize they could end the war themselves. And think about all the dragons who need this was to be over."
"My brothers and sisters," said Clay. "If they're still alive."
"Anemone," Tsunami said. "So she doesn't have to use her animus powers and lose her soul."
"All the SandWings," Glory added. "They need a queen and a unified kingdom."

"So will you help me?" Sunny said, picking nervously at a vine of small, star-shaped red flowers that snaked through the window.
"Well, even if we, what's the plan?" tsunami said practically. "Pick a queen and then send Deathbringer to kill the other two?"
"Yikes," Deathbringer said, flaring his wings. "Give me the easy job, why don't you."
"Oh, if only we knew Pyrrhia's best assassin," Glory mused teasingly.

"No, no," Sunny said, flapping between them before they could go too far down that road. "No killing."
"It would be almost impossible," Tsunami mused. "I assume dragons have tried before."

"What if we got an animus to enchant something?" Starlight suggested. "That was Blister's plan to use Anemone, and it was a smart one. Enchant a spear to go kill Burn, or perhaps we could put her life essence in a tree and set it on fire, or something like that?"
"We are not using animus magic," Stormcaller suddenly snarled. "End of story."

"Can animus magic really do those things?" Fatespeaker asked. "That's absolutely terrifying."
"It's a little more complicated than that, but basically," Deathbringer answered her. "And yes, it's really terrifying."
"We're not killing them!" Sunny said again.

"Well, with what ever option we pick, we have to choose which sister we want to be queen," Glory said. "And they're all terrible."
"Blaze is a dizzy idiot who'd be dead by day two," Glory said. "I say Blister. She's evil, but she'd smart, so she'd probably rule the kingdom fine, and if we're her allies she'll leave us alone. I think. Well, maybe not. Okay, maybe not. But at least we'd know where she is."
"Wait," Sunny said. "I don't want to kill any of them."