Part 1: Chapter 1 & 2

Part One: Rainforest Monsters

(This title . . . Things are going to be different from the original story. A lot more different than they already are . . . I think.)

(3rd Pov Glory)

It had been raining for five days.

Glory officially hated it.

She also was not enjoying the comments from the other dragonets about how "as a RainWing," she should love this weather.

She most certainly did not love this weather. In the caves under the mountain, the dragonets had never ever been rained on. This downpour felt unnatural and unstoppable and horribly, unpleasant wet.

Stormcaller on the other talon, claimed to enjoy this weather. Tsunami instantly said it was because of his name. Stormcaller also said he had been in rain storms that lasted much longer than this one. Something Glory never wants to experience.

'I don't care if a "real" RainWing is supposed to like this,' she thought as droplets of water rolled off her snout, seeped through her scales, and soaked her wings until they dragged heavily behind her. 'If they do, there's something wrong with them. No sensible dragon should enjoy weather that makes it so hard to fly.'

She glanced back at Stormcaller. 'Well, he's not always sensible,' she thought. Her mind drifted back to the thought of RainWings. 'Three moons, please let them be sensible dragons. Let them be nothing like the stories.'

Everyone - except Stormcaller - said RainWings were useless and lazy. But the tribe lived off by themselves in the rainforest where no one ever saw them, so everyone might be wrong. Glory was really hoping they were wrong.

She shook her whole body and glared at the fog-shrouded sky. What she wanted was more sun. She'd missed the sun her whole life and hadn't known it until it hit her scales the day they left the caves. More long sunny days would be fine by her.
Instead there was this. Rain. Mud. More rain. More mud. The occasional joke from Stormcaller. Plus one moaning, groaning, dripping slowpoke of a wounded SeaWing.

"Can we stop?" Webs gasped. "I need to rest." He flopped through the mud to a slightly drier spot under a tree.
Glory narrowed her eyes at him as the blue-green dragon flopped to the ground. The other dragonets stopped, too, exchanging glances.

Stormcaller decided that now would be the perfect time to take a drink from that flask he got in the Sky Kingdom. It stank of alcohol. Glory shot him an "are you serious?" look.

She looked back at Webs. Glory was starting to suspect he didn't really want them to get to the rainforest.
'But why?' she wondered. 'Is he hiding something? Does it have to do with parents?'

As the guardian who had stolen her from the RainWing tribe in the first place, Webs should have been helpful fount of knowledge about where she came from. Instead, he got all mumbly and forgetful whenever they asked about the rainforest dragons.

Clay paced over to Webs and peered down at his wound. They'd wrapped it with seaweed soaked in ocean water for as long as they could, but now they were too far inland to get any more. The poisoned scratch near Web's tail had become an ugly gash surrounded by blackened scales, and the black seemed to spread a bit more each day. None of them had any idea what to do to combat SandWing poison.

'Not to mention we have no idea why Blister wanted Webs dead so badly. I mean, I think he's awful, but she doesn't even know him.' Glory glanced at Starflight, the black NightWing who was one of the smartest dragons she knew - and probably still would be if she knew more than five dragons. She wondered if he had any theories about Blister and Webs. Glory was certain Stormcaller also had theories, or even knew why. But from the looks of it, he seemed more concerned that his flask was now empty of whatever was in it before.