Part 2: Chapter 13, 14, & 15

(3rd Pov Sunny)

Once Sunny introduced Stormcaller as her friend to everyone, Smolder was baffled at the fact that a NightWing was so easily able to sneak into the palace.
Thorn had asked Stormcaller if he knew of a NightWing named Stonemover; he said no.

Smolder then led them through the labyrinth of the palace again. Sunny noticed that Peril kept her wings pressed as close to her body as she could.
'Afraid of setting something on fire,' she guessed, feeling sorry for the SkyWing.
"Mother," she whispered, "why do we care about this NightWing?"
"Hopefully we don't," her mother whispered cryptically.

They crossed the sandpit to the tower. The six SandWing guards jumped aside with a relieved expression when they saw Smolder.
Sunny heard Peril take a deep breath. 'Time for her to face Scarlet,' she realized. 'And us, too, since we'll have to get past her to see the NightWing.'

They could hear Scarlet roaring as soon as they opened the door.  "Who's down there? Smolder, I hear your stupid keys clanking. If you-" She abruptly cut herself off and Sunny looked up. She could see yellow eyes glinting through the smoke as Scarlet peered down at them.

They slowly made their way up the ramp but suddenly stopped. Stormcaller - who was second in line - abruptly froze when they were in front of the strange skull that Sunny didn't like.

"Where did you get this?" he asked with an unreadable expression on his face, gesturing to the skull with a wing. The paint the covered his body only moments ago was now mostly gone.
"Burn came across it a few weeks ago," Smolder informed. "She didn't say much; only that there were a few casualties when they had gotten it." Sunny wondered what could have caused the dragons to die when getting.
Stormcaller's mouth slowly twisted into a frown before he continued up the ramp.

The former queen of the SkyWings sat with her tail curled around her talons, glaring fiercely at them. Smolder stopped in front of her, but she ignored him, fixing her malevolent gaze on Peril.
"What are you doing?" she growled.
"Rescuing you," Peril muttered, staying behind Sunny.
"This is an odd way to go about it." Scarlet swept her tail in an arc, knocking glass chards over the edge to shatter them on the floor far below. "Such an interesting group of friends you've brought with you, especially you, NightWing." She spoke with venom in her voice and glared at Stormcaller who looked unfazed. Sunny had a feeling that Scarlet didn't like Stormcaller after his escape in the Sky Kingdom; Clay had told her about it.

"Where is the NightWing?" Thorn demanded. Smolder pointed wordlessly at the shadowy lumps behind Scarlet.
"Don't go near her," Sunny warned her mother as Thorn started forward. "She's really dangerous."
"That's true," Scarlet hissed.

Thorn paused, then faced the prisoner. "Show me the Nightwing's face."
"Looking for someone?" Scarlet said, looking amused. "Now why would I hep you?"
"Because I'm telling you to," Peril interjected abruptly. "Do it if you want me to get you out of here."

Queen Scarlet rose up on her back legs, spreading her wings so she looked majestically powerful despite her disfigurement. "It sounds to me like you've forgotten who your queen is," she snarled at Peril.
"It sounds to me like you've forgotten who had the scale-melting talons here," Peril snapped back.

Scarlet hissed and more smoke poured from her snout to envelop her horns. "Don't you threaten me. I don't take orders from anyone."
"Then you can rot here," peril said hotly, turning around so fast the Sunny had to jump out of the way of her tail.

She'd only taken three steps when Scarlet cried, "Wait! Wait."
Peril stopped breathing deeply, but didn't turn around.
"The NightWing," Thorn said with quiet authority, pointing.
Scarlet growled deep in her throat, then picked up something from behind her and threw it as hard as she could at Smolder.
A familiar white talon shot up and snatched the thing out of the air before Smolder could catch it. Stormcaller turned and held out the NightWing head to Thorn.
It was the NightWing's head.