Part 2: Chapter 11 & 12

(Tsunami 3rd Pov)

"Pearl, report," ordered the queen after the dragons had eaten for a while.
"No change," said the elegant pale green dragon in the treasury pool. "All your jewels are safe, as always. No scavengers can get to them, and no dragon would dare to try."
"Splendid," said Coral, She upended the last of a cauldron of crabs into her mouth, Shark, report."

"I am concerned about our defenses," snarled the gray-green dragon. He glared at Tsunami. "The intruders in our midst are a danger to us. We have no idea whether they might have led others to out palace, or what they might be planning."

"Now, now," said the queen. "Those are our guests, not intruders. If my daughter trusts them, then of course I do, too, and from what I've heard. You know one of them, too. The NightWing, what was his name again?"

"Stromcaller," Shark answered.
"Yes, Stormcaller, wouldn't you trust him?" The queen asked.
"No," said Shark.
"I don't either," Cascade said, voicing his opinion. "Something about him doesn't seem right."

"Mother," Tsunami spoke up quickly. "I was thinking maybe my friends could join us for breakfast. I'm sure their hungry. And if they could see that they're welcome here . . ." She trailed off as Coral shook her head.

"Only council members and royalty are allowed at Council meetings, darling," Queen Coral said, running one claw along a strand of her pearls. "But they certainly won't go hungry. Lagoon, did you make sure they were served an ample breakfast?"

The turquoise dragon nodded.
"They can have the rest of this as well." Queen Coral waved her talons at the breakfast leftovers. The same small dragons from before darted up from the kitchen level, collecting the platters, and flew down to the cave with them. Tsunami watched over the edge of the pavilion. None of her friends friends even poked their heads out. Were they sulking  in there? Were they still mad at her?

Well, she was doing a fine enough job embarrassing herself. She didn't need them to come out and help. Raised by barbarian, friends with other tribes . . . not stuff most queens were made of.
"Whirlpool, report," said the queen, smiling at him.
Whirlpool touched the hoop in his ear and flared his wings.
"Anemone's lessons are going wonderfully," he said. Tsunami wasn't sure why his voice was so irritating, but it felt like claws scraping on stone to listen to him. "And your scrolls have never been so popular. The latest has been brought by every SeaWing in the tribe."

Cascade let out a small cough before quickly saying, "Not true," earning a glare from Shark.
"Mostly the underwater editions," Moray jumped in. "Those tend to sell the best. Of course, I spend all my energy promoting them-"
"But I've organized another reading," Whirlpool interrupted. "Every high-ranking dragon is clamoring to attend. We're charging an emerald a piece this time."

Queen Coral waved her tail thoughtfully. "I want to be sure I'm reaching the eel-eating masses as well, though," she said. "I mean, my writing should be shared with everyone, not just those who can afford it."
"Of course," Moray said. "That's why the schools have al changed their curriculums again to be sure the dragonet have enough time to read everything you've written. It's the most important subject they study."

"You can't be serious," Tsunami burst out. "More important than how to fight in the war?"
Cold silence.
Queen Coral pressed a talon to her chest, looking injured. "Darling, my writing is about everything. As you would know if you'd finished the scrolls I gave you yesterday. What did you think of them?"
Tsunami guiltily remembered the scrolls she'd tossed aside to see Kestrel's body. She hadn't even gone back to the library to get them.

"Uh," she mumbled. "The Missing Princess is still my favorite."
A chuckle ran around the assembled dragons. Tsunami felt hot with embarrassment. Councils were so stupid! She would never have something like this when she was queen!