EP 19: THE CURE

I stared at the beaten book in my hands that Meister gave to me, its worn-out edge still intact but begging to be broken. My dear Meister, a mentor I never thought I needed in my life. My fingers trembled as I flipped open the cover to reveal the first page where cursive handwriting stood its ground in the middle of the yellowing page. 

It said; 'To my first and only apprentice. Go change the world.' 

I couldn't stop my eyes from watering a bit from just reading that short sentence. When was the first time someone had faith in my potential, in my ability to be someone worthy of praise? When was the first time someone reminded me that the sky is the limit and that I can do anything I set my mind to, even if it's to change the world? 

Meister. Oh, dear Meister. Your brain might be aging, but your heart stays pure gold. Well... if only you could hold your tongue from saying hurtful things.

I proceeded to the next page. My heart thrummed with excitement and fear. It was a mixture of the most absurd kind that brewed inside me like a storm. On one hand, I could not wait to find a message that could alter the fate of my ailing stepmother, Queen Mirala. On the other hand, I feared what the unknown future would hold.

"Dear Diana," it began, "I have a strong belief that you would diagnose Queen Mirala in no time. You are the smartest person I know (though you act stupid at times). And you are also the kindest soul I have ever met. There exists a rare drug called Lohan, a potent corticosteroid, which could cure her. Seek it out."

Corticosteroid? So Meister would not give me the diagnosis but gave me the medicine instead?

My heart pounded as I folded the letter and tucked it into my dress. This could be the key. I knew I had to speak with Dr. Varnus, the royal physician, to acquire the drug. The King would not permit me to go to the black market unless I gave him proof that it was needed. And the most basic testing I could go for is a blood test and x-ray. 

I needed Varnus for the blood test. But Varnus always looked down upon Diana, reducing her to nothing more than a girl in a gown. If I want to convince him to help me, I need to show him that helping me could be useful to him.

But of course, as I entered his chamber, his eyes met mine, full of disdain.

"Princess Diana, to what do I owe this intrusion?" he sneered.

"I need to test Queen Mirala's blood. I believe I know what ails her." Technically, I knew the cure. I haven't figured out what was her illness. But details could wait.

Varnus chuckled. His glasses stooped lower on his flat nose and his white beard covered a part of his ugly sneer. "Princess, please stop this healer play before you hurt Queen Mirala like your mother for mere jealousy." He raised his eyebrows at me, his eyes were fully observant of how I would react.

I guess Varnus expected me to go crazy over him insulting Diana's mother and stating her crime of poisoning Mirala as if she was a crazy bitch –though the latter part is actually true. But I was not Diana and so I didn't react as Varnus expected.

Varnus cleared his throat. "What is it exactly that you are planning by stringing up Queen Mirala's hope of a cure–"

"Do you have the blood test kit or not?" I cut him off before he could actually irritate me. What was his deal with Diana?

"Of course I do," he said, "But it is my duty to–"

"Then have you ever tested Mirala's blood?" I asked, "If you have, I'd like to ask for the report."

"What?" Varnus blinked. "We never–"

"You never tested Mirala's blood despite being the royal physician?" I purposely raised my voice and chuckled loudly. "Whatever my father would do if he hears of his royal physician slacking off?"