Chapter 17

"Please?" April begged.

"Fine, but only because it's on my list, and I did say I'd do it," Maci answered.

"Yes!" April clapped her hands excitedly. "We're going dancing! We're going dancing!" She singsonged, spinning her fingers around in ironic celebration.

Maci chuckled at that as she tried to pick out an outfit. April, of course, always looked ready to party. Her black minidress was actually just her work top from the day. Now it was simply untucked from her jeans and dressed up with matching black booties.

No way I can compete with that, the voice inside Maci's head told her. She tried to ignore it, rifling through her closet to find a dress worthy of dancing the night away.

"What about this one?" She pulled out her black one from the book launch party.

"Eh, I mean, it's cute, but it's not club worthy, you know?"

Maci tilted her head, but decided April was right. It wasn't club worthy.

She was ready to ask to borrow something of April's when something metallic caught her eye. Oh shit, she thought to herself. Well, it's not like I've worn it out yet. She smirked, pushing the memories of trying it on for Evan out the window. Instead, she thought of all the looks she'd get in the dress when she was out on the town. Time for some fun.

An hour later, and Maci felt like having some fun. The gold sequin number really did work with her skin tone and dark hair, making her feel alluring. She even did her makeup, putting on some gold glittery eyeshadow, and a shimmering highlight.

"Wow, Maci you look SO great!" April complimented, nodding and making her dark hair swish.

"Thanks, April, so do you. So, what do you have planned for us tonight?"

"Well, I think we'll hit up Wknds, and then maybe go to Mack's, or some other bar nearby for a nightcap? What do you think? I swear, we'll have ya home by midnight, cause I know, it's a weeknight."

Maci fought an eye roll, but nodded. "Yeah, sure, alright." She held her arm out, and April linked up. They headed out together, and Maci felt the weight on her heart lift a little more. Maybe a night out was what she needed.

When they arrived, Maci thought it was what she wanted. But, with all eyes on her, she was feeling like she was in a fishbowl or something.

"Hey, you got this girl," April whispered. She gave her a quick nudge, and Maci put on a brave face. She shrugged her shoulders, and just took in the environment she was in.

Flashing lights, people dancing, a fun atmosphere. Fun. So, she took in a deep breath, and decided to head for the dance floor. An Ellie Goulding track came over the speakers, and Maci smiled at the song. It was "Anything Could Happen," and honestly, nothing felt more true to her in that moment.

She swayed along to the beat, attempting to get April to sing along. Maci closed her eyes, listening to the music as it winded down. When she opened her eyes though, April wasn't in front of her. A man stood in place, eyes trained on her body. She paused, blinking a couple times, unsure of what to say.

He spoke first, his tenor echoing over the music. "I'm Danny, what's your name, gorgeous?"

Maci instantly tensed. Yeah, hard pass. "I'm not interested." She said coolly, turning to see April idling in a free space. So, she made a run for it -- okay, she walked quickly, but still.

"What was that?" April asked curiously.

"Um, nothing even worth mentioning," Maci commented, rolling her eyes. "Can we just get back to dancing?"