chapter twenty-three

PRESENT

PRESENT

"Zade?"

"Isla?" He said while standing outside the door. My eyes widened at his presence. This is not what I expected when Breana said that someone was here to see me.

He looked... different. His dark hair was disheveled and I guess he hadn't had a haircut in a while, it reached down his ears.

His posture was more fragile and he looked like he lost some weight. The dark circles under his eyes were more visible and his t-shirt was wrinkled.

I'm sure he started drinking again. Zade loved to drink at the beginning of our relationship. It didn't really create any problem for us because he stopped shortly after. I told him that I was not comfortable with his habit and he cut it off.

I was happy that he was making changes and getting his life on track but seeing him now, he looked rough.

"What are you doing here?" I closed the door after me and stepped closer. I didn't want people to see what's going on.

He placed his hands in the pockets of his jeans and let out a sigh. His eyes went to my stomach.

"Can't I see you? You are literally caring for my child." I laughed bitterly at his comment. Now he remembers that I'm pregnant with his baby. After so many months.

"So you do remember."

"Of course I do."

"You literally left me on the street, Zade. When I told you, you kicked me out knowing that I have nowhere to go." I whisper yelled not wanting to make a scene in front of the bakery.

He tilted his head back and let out a breath of what seemed in frustration.

"I know I made a mistake. It's not like you are on the street, are you now? You have where to live." He pointed to the building behind me. How did he know that I live here?

"That's not the point. What if I didn't have where to go? Huh? You never thought of that at the time. I was completely alone Zade. Alone." Remembering that time, made tears well up in my eyes.

The knowledge of having nowhere to go was the most difficult time of my life. Coming here I thought my aunt would take me to her place but when she said no, I almost lost all of my hope.

Zade didn't care at that time and I doubt he cares now. There must be a motive that he's here. I doubt he came because he wanted to see me and because he cares about my baby.

"I had no choice, Isla. I didn't expect that you would get pregnant. I was not ready." I was slowly losing it because all I wanted to do was slap him across the face.

"Then you shouldn't have had unprotected sex with me, Zade. You were the one who persisted on it. You knew damn well that I wasn't completely comfortable with that yet you still pressured me into doing it." I stepped closer and pointed a finger at him. I made sure to lower my voice like it was not enough that some people were starting to stare.