Chapter 8

"Were you really going to kiss her?" Kergy whispered to Garth as they walked into Special Talents class. Garth tried to keep his attitude in check.

"No, ok. I didn't even know I was doing that." Kergy nodded, unbelieving. "Hey, you saw her too. Princesses must have some kind of...magic that just makes you, I don't know, fall in love with them." Kergy was still nodding, not taking his explanation as truth.

"You two, stop talking!" the professor of the class, Sheeba Sheeks, cackled. The boys sat down as the round woman paced at the front of the class. "Now, each of you has a special talent that will help you succeed in defeating your nemesis." Garth crossed his fingers underneath his desk, praying his nemesis was Stephan. He had already gotten a good start on hating that guy and he didn't want to make a quick switch.

"In the Circus of Talents," Sheeba continued, "some of you will perform your talent in front of the school to try and impress the School Master. That, however, is much farther ahead in your year, so you have time to work on your talent. Today, we will take the first step in discovering your special ability. Actually finding out what it is." Garth smiled, but tried not to laugh this time. "Now, who will go first?"

The room went silent as students looked to each other, waiting for someone to rise. Garth really didn't know why people asked that question. Of course no one was going to jump in. Sheeba looked down the line of students, but stalled when her eyes landed on him.

"Where did you get so many scars and...muscles?" she asked. Students turned to look at him. Why did he have to be the odd one out?

"Maybe he decided he wanted to impress his princess friend?" a girl scoffed. It was the same one he had punched yesterday. She now had a black-eye.

"I really don't want to talk about it," he said calmly, crossing his arms. Sheeba smiled.

"Then you won't mind showing us your special talent." He knew that was coming. Nevers started to jeer.

"Only thing I can think of requires a whip."

A little guy with an eyepatch over his right eye cackled, "Why don't you use the knife you took, princess lover." Garth ignored the guy, recognizing him from the fight yesterday too.

"Only thing I can do with a knife is throw and kill." A couple Nevers went silent.

"You've killed before?" Jerald snorted. Garth glanced around the room, noticing the surprise on everyone's faces. Assumption: they had never really killed someone before. He smirked and held up two fingers. Nevers gasped and looked at him with admiration.

"You will all get to kill, but right now we are discussing talents. What is your talent, Garth?" Sheeba persisted. Garth scolded himself for not using his time to think of something. He had a talent, but what?

"Does being a thief count?" Eyepatch scowled. Sheeba didn't say a word. Garth didn't say a word, his mind racing to find a solution. Then something came to mind. Lilac.