Chapter 21

Garth searched behind every bush, tree, and thicket. Stephan couldn't just vanish. There was no way. But his useless search proved that it was possible. Like how he had changed Vicky into a girl. The one thing that really bothered him was how.

"Garth," Scar moaned. "What's going-" The wolf boy stopped as soon as he saw Vicky on the ground. "Vicky?" He practically pounced on her, checking for injuries.

"Um, Scar," she said in a sweet voice. After noticing the issue, Scar unbuttoned his shirt and wrapped her in it before helping her up. Vicky was bright red as she looked around. "This is really embarrassing."

"How do you think we feel?" Edward responded, blocking his vision with a hand. Vicky bit her lip as her cheeks burned even hotter. Luckily, she seemed able to use magic. What was once Scar's shirt became a red dress with short sleeves and a collar.

"You're good, Ed," Garth said. Edward opened his eyes and sighed. Richard sighed too, though it sounded like a snarl.

"We're not good. No one's good. Isabella was taken by..." Richard's face distorted into a weird expression. Garth couldn't believe this. And yet, he could. Lilac never stopped believing he was Good, no matter what.

"Oh," Scar moaned, "just say it so we can move on." Richard looked like he was going to be sick. He was silent for five whole minutes.

"By my brother. Stephan took Isabella and the others," he finally admitted. Garth noticed the tears in his eyes. Vicky stepped toward him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"It's ok. We- Agh!" Vicky clutched her stomach as she seemed to crumble. Richard and Scar grabbed her before she dropped to the ground. As everything settled, a black and red mark appeared on her arm. It was light, but it was there. Everyone gasped as they stared at it. Except Garth.

"It's just a bunch of decorative squiggles," he said. Scar stared at him with frightened eyes. Garth was getting a very bad feeling, because so far, Scar didn't scare easily.

"It's the symbol of blood magic," the wolf boy explained. "That's how Stephan changed her into a person." Richard backed away immediately.

"My brother messed with blood magic? He should have known better!" Edward pointed at Richard as he nodded.

"I bet that scepter thing uses blood magic too. That might be where he started." Garth crossed his arms. If this had been in a book in the library, he would have read it. And he would have remembered. So far, none of this made sense and everyone was assuming he somehow knew. All he wanted to know was how they knew about this blood magic stuff.

"I'm going to ask this once. What...are...you...talking...about?" Garth enunciated. Rather than getting looks of shock or surprise, Garth was seeing shifty glances and fearful looks. Scar and Vicky didn't look at him, Edward rubbed his neck nervously, and Richard couldn't stand still.

"Guys," Garth said, "I'm being serious. Someone please tell me what's up with blood magic." Everyone stayed silent.

"Everyone can harness regular, pure magic if they try," Edward finally said. "This includes black magic. However, a form of black magic...blood magic...was discovered or created or something. No one really knows."

"Blood magic," Richard pitched in, "is black magic dedicated to controlling other people or changing yourself. It's dangerous and rarely used, but when someone is exposed to blood magic, they tend to go after it."

"The sheer power you gain over creatures and people from it alters your mind," Scar added. "You begin to believe you can rule the world, and, with blood magic on your side, you could. Taking control of minds, changing creatures into humans and vice versa. You would be difficult to stop." Everyone looked way, staring at the turquoise grass.