Chapter 18

Lilac didn't care about the blood on her new dress. She didn't care about the Ball being ruined. She didn't care about the looks on everyone's faces. She only cared about Garth in those moments. And he was gone forever.

"Gar-th," she choked, unable to see through her tears. But she could feel the lifelessness of his body, the lack of a heartbeat. He was gone, and her screams couldn't bring him back.

"Oh, Lilac," Isabella squealed, hugging her friend as tears came to her own eyes. Edward put a hand on Garth's forehead. Lilac glanced at him through watery eyes. The prince was sitting up straight, but he was fighting for control of his emotions.

"Goodbye...friend," he said mournfully, bowing his head. Some in the crowd gasped at this, but most felt the weight of this death. Kergy and Jerald were watching in a small corner, silently saying their own goodbyes. The scraping of claws against the floor neared. Out of the crowd came Scar and Vicky. The wolf came up to Lilac's side, sniffing Garth.

He's not..., the wolf denied. He can't be...

Garth's dead, Lilac confirmed. The wolf nudged the Never's head, whimpering. Vicky came along beside him and cried into his shoulder when she saw Garth unresponsive. Scar howled, the echo bouncing off the walls continuously. Lilac laid Garth on the ground gently.

"He's just a Never," Stephan grumbled. Edward leaped to his feet and would have punched the killer if Richard and Amanda hadn't held him back.

"You don't feel any remorse! Any regret! You killed him!" the prince growled, fighting against his restraints. Amanda calmed him down as Stephan neared Lilac.

"You didn't really-"

"Leave me alone," she interrupted, drying her eyes with her sleeve. She picked up Garth's arm and placed it on his chest. When she took his other hand, his finger glowed a vibrant black. It wasn't until then that she realized how white her finger was glowing.

Suddenly, a burst of magic exploded from their fingertips and shot up Garth's arm. As it did, the sleeve of his jacket grew darker until it was pure black. Lilac watched as the magic continued down his other arm, but also shot up into his face and chest. His collared shirt turned black, the vest and tie blood red. The magic shot down his legs, but not before giving him a sheathed sword. His pants changed to black and his boots to red.

Lilac stared into his face. The scars didn't fade, but his skin grew brighter. His matted hair was fresh and combed. He looked as if he hadn't died. He looked like he had taken a shower of all things. Scar nudged the boy's face. In response, Garth coughed.

"Garth," Lilac breathed, unsure what she was seeing. The Never opened his eyes, once again a vibrant blue. He looked around, his eyes landing on Lilac.

"I must have been good enough to go to heaven. You can't be anything but an angel," he sighed. Lilac laughed as he slowly sat up. She wrapped her arms around him immediately, unable to contain her joy. He hugged her back.

"I thought you were dead!" she cried into his shoulder. Garth scoffed.