Chapter 13

The time had come for the Trial by Tale participants to be revealed. Everyone filed into the Theater of Tales that morning, unable to keep from talking. Even the Nevers were a buzz. Whoever won the Trial would get five extra first place rankings, putting them at the top. That also made them class captains.

Garth sat on the edge of the pew, hoping Lilac would see him and sit across from him. He had seen her the last couple days, but they had never talked about the trial. He was dreading this day for the fact that he was doing the best in Surviving Fairytales. And so was she.

Lilac walked all the way down toward him, unsure about the announcements as well. She knew how well he was doing and people couldn't stop complimenting her. The answer was right in front of her, but she didn't want to admit it. The trial would be a defining moment. Whether she was right about Garth or not.

"Hey," she whispered. Garth glanced at her, finding worried eyes. He could only agree with her. The wolves weren't in the way, so he nudged her foot with his. A hand would be too easy to see. Lilac returned the nudge and they smiled at each other.

The noise died down as Pollux, beside Castor on their body, howled. The fifteen group leaders for Surviving Fairytales stood behind them.

"To win a Trial by Tale," Pollux announced, "is one of the greatest honors at the School for Good and Evil. Once a year, we send the best Evers and Nevers into the Blue Forest for one night to see who lasts until dawn. In order to win, a student must survive, not only the School Master's death traps, but the opposite side's attacks. The last Ever or Never in the forest at dawn is proclaimed the winner and is given five additional first-place rankings." Garth glanced at Lilac, hoping that she would be ok in the Trial.

"A week from today," Pollux continued, "each Forest Group will be sending their top Ever and top Never into the Trial. Before the announcements though, it feels appropriate to review the rules." As Pollux talked, Lilac rubbed her hands nervously. This review was only for suspense. Which was having a serious effect on her nerves. She needed to know now if she was in the Trial or not. If Garth was in the Trial or not. If Stephan was in the Trial or not. If... There was a long list.

Garth nudged her again, noticing her heaving chest and dazed eyes. She turned to him as Pollux started talking about a tie and how the ranks would be split. He gave her a smile, but it wasn't too reassuring. His own mind was running through the possible combinations of participants.

"For the rest of the week, all classes will be dedicated to preparing these fifteen Evers and fifteen Nevers for their night in the Blue Forest," Pollux continued. "In-class challenges are restricted to these competitors only. Those who have the worst scores will enter first while those with the best will enter the forest considerably later. Note that this is a tremendous advantage. The less time you spend in the Trial by Tale, the greater the chance you will come out alive."

Garth's smile disappeared at hearing this while Lilac turned chalk-white. Garth had the urge to wrap his arms around Lilac in order to protect her from...anything. Lilac wanted Garth to fail terribly so he wouldn't be in the Trial. Maybe that Never with the eyepatch would get in. Pollux looked at all the shocked faces and realized what he had suggested.

"Students, students," he cooed nervously. "Don't take my words seriously. No one dies in the Trial by Tale. It is quite silly if you truly think about it."

Castor coughed, "What about that-"

"The competition is very safe," Pollux snarled, silencing Castor. Garth caught on though. Someone had died. His heart pounded. Lilac couldn't compete in the Trial by Tale. He prayed that Edward or someone else in their group would have the top score. "Now," Pollux continued, "each of the competitors will have a flag of surrender. If you feel like you are in mortal danger, drop it to the ground and you will be taken from the forest intact and very much alive." He glared at Castor for that final part. "I will give the floor to the Forest Group leaders now, who will announce this year's Trial by Tale competitors."