Chapter 15

"So, what was it like in the woods at night?" Isabella asked as she and Lilac walked through the lunch line. They pulled their fur shawls tighter around their shoulders as a cold winter breeze passed through. Snow made a soft layer on the ground, fresh from last night. The girls collected their baskets and moved on.

"It wasn't bad," Lilac answered, shrugging. "The challenges toyed with my mind, but that was the brunt of it. What about you guys? How was the outside?" Isabelle frowned and turned away.

"Do you think Amanda would still be in our room if it had gone well?" Lilac got the idea. Apparently, Edward and Jerald had made camp by the list of competitors, watching it intensely. Once Kergy had exited, he had joined them also. No one knew who they had been rooting for, but every girl was thinking of one possible solution.

"I swear, Edward doesn't like me," Lilac defended. "I don't know why he stayed by the list, but it wasn't because he had feelings for me."

"Figured that out." The girls turned to see Stephan, a thick wool sweater over his usual uniform. He smiled at Lilac. "Every prince knows you're my girl. So why didn't you make yourself known to me?" Lilac blushed.

"Garth had gotten injured. He needed me more." She smiled at the prince as she finished, "Besides, I knew you could handle yourself." Stephan took her hand gently.

"Yes, but I must protect you. And that is difficult when you're asking for trouble."

Garth watched a short distance away. Close enough to hear everything, but far enough to not be seen. He knew she was telling the prince the truth. That's what she did. But he knew she was hiding something also. He just didn't know what.

"Glad you made it out alive." Garth turned to see Edward, navy sweater dusted with snow.

"You were watching the list to see if I would make it," Garth remarked. Edward turned to the sky for support. Finding known, he went to the ground.

"Sort of. That's one reason." Garth groaned, crossing his arms.

"You were avoiding her." He could hear Edward's heavy breath, practically see him gulp with difficulty. "Lost your nerve."

"I'm an awful prince if I can't even talk to the girl I like," he scolded, falling to the ground. Edward lay down in the snow. Now Garth could see the slight tint of red in his eyes.

"You are an awful prince if you cry about not talking to a girl," he noted. Edward covered his face with his hands.

"It's heartbreaking to see her and not be with her," he said simply. Garth kneeled by his friend's side, trying to find something to say.

Without even thinking, he said, "I know how you feel." Edward uncovered his eyes and stared at Garth. The Never kept his gaze off the prince.

"That's why she didn't ever go and find Stephan." Garth moaned and lay down in the snow.

"I tried to get rid of her a dozen times. She wouldn't go away."

"'Cause she likes you too." Garth shot up and glared at the prince. His gaze softened, though, when he realized the prince's words were true. He did still sort of, in a way, like her. Then reality hit.

"Incorrect sensations that are meant to confuse my true soul," Garth answered, going straight to the books. "Moment of weakness. Years of getting the special attention. I'll get over it." He knew Edward was going to say something, so he made a run. The easiest way to avoid poisoning his mind further.