Chapter 17

Lilac was awakened earlier than usual by the frantic, yet ecstatic squeals of her roommates. When she realized it wasn't an attack, she tried to go back to sleep. But the screams continued.

"Do you think I should wear this dress or this one?" Amanda questioned giddily.

"Green isn't your color. Go for lavender!" Isabella replied excitedly.

"Are you sure you should wear the red dress again?"

"It was in my wish and my wish is coming true. Therefore, I am wearing the dress."

"I can't find my cherry lipstick!"

"Maybe one of the other girls has one."

Lilac tried muffling the squeals with her pillow, but the noises were just as loud. She wasn't sure how these girls even had energy to scream. They had a whole day's worth of preparation classes before the Ball. Surviving Fairytales was being canceled for prep also. Couldn't they wait?

"Lilac, where's your dress?" The princess peeked out from under her pillow. Isabella had a crazy smile on her face and a light in her eyes. Amanda was in the same condition, jittery and lively. Lilac took the pillow off her head.

"Can't this wait 'til later?" she asked. Isabella gasped.

"This is your first Ball, and you want to wait until later to prepare?" Isabella scolded. "Who do you think you are? Cinderella! Even she had to prep for her Ball. Wasn't just a little magic and off she went."

Isabella continued to rant while Lilac got lost in her thoughts. Isabella and Amanda were chipper because they were going with their princes. Their true loves. She was going with Stephan, the one guy that made her heart leap. And yet, she wasn't excited for the Ball. In fact, she was dreading it. Something just didn't feel right.

"What are you doing?" Kergy yawned, staring at Garth with bleary eyes. The Never was writing on a piece of parchment on top of a book. The charcoal stopped drawing as Garth looked up. Kergy noticed the paper. It was a map, the towers of Good and Evil badly sketched. Underneath the crude bay was a sewage pipe that connected the schools.

"As I asked before," Kergy repeated, "what are you doing?" Garth looked down at his paper.

"Drawing up plans," he replied. Kergy waited, but he didn't continue.

"Why?" Garth sighed.

"So I can get into the school for Good." Kergy cocked his head.

"You do know the Ball's tonight, right?" Garth nodded. "Then why are you..." Kergy trailed off as he realized why the Never was planning. Garth stared at him, but his gaze was different. It wasn't cruel or threatening, but pleading.

"I'm confused," Jerald yawned. "What's going on?"