A Father's Day Special

A/N: I was supposed to post this on Father's Day but I got caught up and sh*t. Anyway, here ya go! :)

**

Ever since Stiles' mom died, Father's Day wasn't the same anymore; there were no more special meals nor a day off from work. Claudia Stilinski made Father's Day an event to remember and now, she was gone. John never took an off day nor did he made an effort to have dinner with his son. To them, it was simply an ordinary day.

Stiles' brows furrowed when he stared at his phone's calendar, it was Father's Day and he had no idea what to get for his Dad. He'd been too busy with the pack and school that he forgot this day.

He even made a reminder but with all the shit that has been happening to them lately, no one really has the time to remember any special occasion.

Graduation was months away and he wanted to spend some quality time with his old man but for some reason fate has a way of screwing things up.

"Stiles, you okay?" Derek asked as he jumped in through the young man's room via the window like he always did.

Stiles turned his swivel chair and stared blankly at the werewolf. And without even thinking he asked, "When your Dad was still alive, what did you guys do on Father's Day?"

Derek's eyes widened and Stiles suddenly realized that he had said something insensitive, "Holy crap! I am so sorry! Der-- that was so insensitive of me... Shit!"

"It's okay, Stiles. I understand... Well, Mom used to cook a really big breakfast and by big, I mean, like a feast." Derek started as he sat on Stiles' bed.

Stiles smiled softly at Derek and couldn't help but imagine all of the things that a young Derek Hale used to do... back when things were simple.

"Yea? What else? I need ideas for my Dad... my Mom used to do something really special for Dad but... Well, you know what happened..." Stiles muttered under his breath as he sighed deeply.

"Well, we could cook him something special for dinner... I mean, he did help me a lot a few months back. So, maybe I could help you out..." Derek suggested as he sat up and walked towards Stiles with a reassuring smile on his face.

Stiles blinked at him and then grinned from ear to ear, "Alright, Mr. Hale, you have my undivided attention."

**

In the end, they went to the supermarket and bought ingredients for chicken lasagne, homemade garlic bread and chocolate cupcakes.

"Hmm... Mom used to make beef lasagne but since we're trying to live healthier, I opted to make chicken... I mean, is that alright with you?" Stiles asked as Derek pushed the cart.

"Stiles, I've tasted what you can cook and you are, hands down, one of the best! I will literally eat whatever you cook." Derek said as he aimlessly pushed the cart through the aisles.

If he heard Stiles' heart beat faster than normal, then his wolf is freaking prancing around with a smug look on its face.

**

When they got back to the Stilinski house, they immediately sorted out everything.

Ever since Derek got back from searching the Desert Wolf with Braeden, he'd been hanging around Stiles for copious amounts of time. It was no secret among werewolves, especially between Scott and Derek, that the older werewolf has certain feelings for the young Stilinski. Heck, even Braeden thinks that Derek should just go for it.

But Derek knows that Stiles was still grieving for Malia. He loved her but she needed to find herself and that meant sacrificing what she and Stiles have.

Anyway, Derek watched Stiles in awe as he worked around the kitchen. He still couldn't believe that someone as clumsy as Stiles would be this graceful at handling a knife.

"I still can't believe your Dad let's you handles knives..." Derek wondered as he joined Stiles on preparing the ingredients.

"Hey! You don't insult the chef when he's holding a knife..." Stiles sing-song as he chopped up some veggies and chicken for the lasagna.

**

John knew that he wasn't spending enough time with Stiles. He knew that the boy gets lonely whenever Scott would promise to hang out but manage to not keep his promise.

He was quite surprised when he found out that his boy was spending quite a lot of time with a convicted felon ("No, Dad, he was exonerated, remember?").

 When he witnessed how the two acted around each other, he knew that Derek Hale was good for his son, especially since Malia left to track down her Mother. It left Stiles heartbroken but Derek managed to get his son smiling and laughing again.

When he saw his calendar, he mentally slapped himself for suddenly forgetting what day it was today. It was Father's Day and he was supposed to spend time with his son.

**

When John came home, he was welcomed by the scent of home and good food. He could hear Stiles laughing and he could only guess who his companion was, Derek Hale.

He smiled at the thought of Stiles not being lonely anymore.

This was one heck of a Father's Day gift.

"Hey, you two, sorry I'm late. I forgot what day it was today." He apologized as he approached Stiles and gave him a bone crushing hug.

Stiles chuckled and said, "Nah, that's okay. These things happen, okay? I understand what you do for me."

"Besides, I kept him company and made sure that he didn't cut himself with the knife." Derek added as he watched John and Stiles with such fondness in his eyes.

"Well, thank you, Derek, that was very thoughtful of you. And thank you, son, for doing this for me. I'm sure your Mom would've loved this." John said as he wiped a single tear from his eyes, "I'm gonna head upstairs and freshen up, you guys behave, alright?"

"Hey, Stiles, after this... would you like to go out with me?" Derek asked.

John stopped midway through the stairs when Stiles answered, "Y-yea... I would love that, Der."

"Finally!" the man blurted out from the stairs and then proceeded to his room.

Yep, knowing that his only son would be loved and cared for was a good enough gift from Father's Day, don't you think?

**

A/N: Yay!! I made an update :)