Part 14

JENNIE

I stood next to the sink reading both boxes, saw they were the same, and opened them both, anyway. Lisa was right. Two tests are better than one. If one showed I was pregnant, and the other showed negative, then I would worry. But if they both showed positive. Then I'll really be worried. I'm not ready to have a baby. And neither is Lisa.

At least I wouldn't think she is. She's still married to Kendal and until they're divorced, I wouldn't feel secure. I know Lisa told me I had nothing to worry about. In fact, she was divorcing Kendal and that I'm the one she wants in her life. But I still have that little devil in the back of my mind telling me differently.

Lisa has me convinced she would never cheat on me, and I want to say I believe her. So I will.

I believe Lisa.

I set both sticks next to the sink, then stood staring back and forth at both tests, biting my fingernails, waiting to see if Lisa and I will be parents. Suddenly, I didn't want to watch the results of the tests. I opened the door, then found Lisa sitting on the couch, watching TV, and sat on her lap.

"What did the tests show?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I decided I didn't want to watch anymore.

"Would you rather I watch?"

I shook my head, no.

"Why? Either way, we need to know," she said, pushing up off the couch, with me still planted on her lap. "Come on, sweetheart."

She took my hand and walked me to the bathroom. And as we entered, I leaned against the door and closed my eyes as Lisa walked over to the tests. I opened one eye, then closed them when she looked at me quick, then back to the tests.

I heard her excitedly whisper yes and opened both my eyes.

"What do they say?" She picked up both of the tests and held them up for me to see as she took a couple of steps closer to me. "Both tests show you're going to be a momma, and that means I'm going to be a dada."

I took both tests from her hands, looked at them both, then dropped to my knees, still staring at the tests. "This can't be happening."

She kneeled, gently grabbed hold of my chin, and had me look her in the eyes. "As I said earlier. We will get through this together. Okay?" She assured.

Sincerely assuring me everything was going to be okay.

I nodded, then my hands dropped to my sides and snapped my head up to her, furrowing my brows. "How will this be okay? You're still married, for crying out loud!" I yelled.

"And I already told you, I'm working on that. I called my attorney on the way to the store and asked that he speeds things up. He has a feeling by the end of the week; the divorce papers will be served to Kendal, Finally..."

"I want to go home."

"You don't want to stay another day?"

I quickly shook my head no, trying to fight the tears that wished to fall from my eyes. "I've already been here for a week and a half and just want to get home and lay in my own bed. As miserable as I feel, I think it would be better to be home."

Lisa talked to me into staying one more night. As I laid in bed thinking about my future, Lisa cleaned the lake home and packed the car. All I could think about was Kendal and how she'll react once she finds out it's been me sleeping with her wife for the past seven months. Now that I'm pregnant. I can only imagine how angry she'll be and how she'll try to make my life a living hell.

Oh well.

This may be bad to think about. And it's not the way I would usually think. But if Kendal weren't such a bitch to everyone, maybe Lisa wouldn't have cheated on her in the first place?

We left the following morning, and on the way back home, I had a hard time saying anything. All I wanted to do was think and look out the window. Watching cars drive up beside us, and when she switched lanes, I watched the white lines on the road as we drove alongside them. With me pregnant, this changes everything. Now I need my job back for sure. I wasn't sure what Lisa would say or think if I told her I would go back and work for Kendal, but what else can I do? Nobody will hire a pregnant woman.

While my eyes were looking into the sky, I spoke, finally, "I think I'm going to call Kendal later today and tell her I'll come back with conditions."

She nervously chuckled, "Now this will be interesting. Are you sure you're up to working with Kendal again? Especially with the divorce papers being served to her soon?"

I turned to him. "Yes. I blame Kendal for my pregnancy.

Had she let me go to my doctor's appointment that day. I wouldn't be pregnant right now. I know I can't dwell on it. It is what it is."

She reached over and rested her hand on my leg, smiling as she spoke. "I'm excited about you being pregnant. And I want you to know; I couldn't imagine anyone else carrying my child." Her hand lifted from my leg and up to my cheek, caressing it with the back of her hand. "I'm serious. Having a child with you is the second greatest thing that's happened to me."

"And what's the first?"

"You."