Part 15

JENNIE

It felt good to be away from home for the week and a half I was, but as I walked into my apartment, a sudden feeling of relief roamed throughout me. It felt good to be home. Even if it was to this small apartment of mine, I could tell someone was in here as I walked further inside. I noticed the chair to my dining room table was pulled out, the pillows on my couch were down, and then I saw the card Lisa gave me with the bouquet of roses wasn't against the vase where I had it. It was facing down on the table.

I turned around when I heard the door open and watched Lisa walk in with my things. She must have noticed the confusion on my face as she set my things down and walked straight over to me. "Is there something wrong?"

"Someone was here. Inside my apartment while I was gone."

Her hands rested on my hips, then pulled me to her. "I was here."

"You were?"

"Yes. A few times, actually. I also stayed the night here a couple of times."

"Why?"

"Because. I was trying to figure out where you went, and I also wanted to be here for when you came home."

I took a deep breath, then slowly exhaled as I rested the side of my face against her chest and squeezed her tighter.

It felt good to know she was worried about me. The thing is, I wanted her to worry. I wanted her to think about what she did to me and how I wasn't going to put up with what she did and all the lies she told me. Even though she claimed she isn't a liar like, I think she is or was. But to me, I consider it is lying when you're hiding the truth from someone.

She's right, though. I never did ask if she was married. I assumed she wasn't. I never saw a ring on her finger, she asked for my phone number like she was a single woman, we hung out like we were dating, and we had sex all those times like we were a couple, that there was no chance any one of us had anybody else in our lives. The roommate part still gets me. But the more I think about it, the more I remember how much she dreaded having to go home to 'her roommate' and help with whatever they needed help with at the time. And the way she said the term roommate, I now realize there was a strain in her voice every time she said, roommate.

"I'm glad it was you inside my apartment. I thought maybe Kendal figured out a way to break in here or something since you said you think she figured out we know each other."

She kissed the top of my head. "I told you I was worried about you. About us... Every day I was being haunted by your expression that night when Kendal introduced me to you, and I was so desperate to make things right with you. I was so fucking afraid I lost you. Which was something I didn't want happening. Actually. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't happen."

I leaned back and raised an eyebrow. "You do know that if you hurt me one more time. It won't be Kendal making your life a living hell. It will be me."

She smirked. "Noted..." Her hand moved up my back, cupped the back of my head, then lowered her lips to mine, pressing firmly. "For the record. It's not happening. Now that everything is out. You're my number one priority. Not only will you be my top priority, but that little one growing inside your belly will also be."

Shit. That's right. I almost forgot I'm pregnant.

"I know we just got back. But my stomach is feeling a little queasy, and I think I should lay down for a little while."

"Sure."

We walked over to the couch, and as she sat, I laid down and rested my head on her lap. The sensations of Lisa running her fingers through my hair, the caressing of my arm and body, had me feeling so relaxed, I fell asleep.