Part 17

JENNIE

Seeing Kendal's car parked next to mine had my heart racing, my nerves acting wild, and my stomach turning in knots. "Drop me off over there," I pointed, pointing to the other side of the building. "I'm guessing she came back to question me on why your stuff was in my apartment," I sighed.

"Maybe I should park and walk in with you."

I shook my head. "That's okay. I can handle her."

"If she's here to question you about me. I think it would be best for me to be with you. It's time she knows."

I reached and cupped the side of her face and smiled. "I'll be fine. I'm sure Kendal's here about work, anyway.

Otherwise, your phone would have been blowing up with her phone calls and texts. If I need you, I'll call you."

"You can't do this alone. This is my fault. Not yours," Lisa said, removing my hand and kissing my fingers. "I'm the one who got us in this mess, and I should be the one to fix it."

I opened the door, stepped one foot out, then leaned to her and pressed my lips to her. "I'll call you if I need your help."

"Shut the door," she ordered.

"Why?"

"Just get in and close the door."

I did what she asked, then she drove off and parked in the next parking lot across the street. She turned off the car, then turned to me. "Kendal wasn't there to ask you to come back. She went there to snoop. Kendal was sniffing around, trying to find what she was looking for. She's a bloodhound. I'm telling you she saw our reactions that night at the event. After you quit, she gave me the insinuating stink eye look, as if I was the reason you quit. In which I was," she added. "But my phone and bag was out in the open, and I'm sure she saw it. She's putting two and two together. I can't let you face her alone. Not now. You're pregnant."

"Just bring me back to my place. Let me see what Kendal has to say. I'll call you if I need to. I promise," I demanded, crossing my arms. "This may be your mess that you got me in, but with the way, my hormones are acting right now. I'm positive I can handle her."

After her protesting me going to my apartment alone, she finally gave in and drove me back to my place. Before I exited her car, she pulled me to her. "Call if you need my help. I mean it."

I nodded, kissed her lips, then hurriedly exited her car, and took deep breaths, trying to calm myself while walking into my apartment building. First, I checked and grabbed my mail, then as I headed to my place, I kept my eyes and ears on alert, waiting for Kendal to come from behind and attack me.

As I walked down the hallway, I noticed Kendal sitting on the ground, with her back against my door and her head lowered in her hands.

Here we go...

"Kendal?" I quietly questioned as I neared her.

She lifted and turned her head my way, then pushed herself to stand, brushing debris off her clothes. "Hi, Jennie," she quietly said. But I noticed with the way she said my name; she sounded nervous.

"What are you doing here? And how long have you been here?" I asked, sticking my key in the lock and looking her way.

"I've been here for a little while. I really need to talk to you. Do you have a few minutes?"

"Yeah. Sure," I said, unlocking and opening the door. "Come in."

I had her follow me in, and knowing Lisa took all her belongings with her, I walked her over to my dining room table and pulled a chair out for her; then, wanting to be out of her reach, I sat across from her. The only thing blocking us was the table and the roses from Lisa.