Seven

Summary: Mallory raises her voice and Peter flinches, making her feel like her father.

Warnings: sad Mallory, angry Mallory, and mention of domestic abuse. Peter is 7. It's fairly short

2029

Mallory and Taylor had always prided themselves on their strong and loving relationship. But like any couple, they had their moments of disagreement. One evening, tension between them reached its boiling point, and what began as a simple disagreement escalated into a heated argument.

Voices rose as emotions flared, and the living room became a battleground for their clash of opinions. As Mallory's frustration mounted, her voice grew louder, filling the space with her impassioned words. Unknown to them, their son hovered just outside the doorway, his curiosity piqued by the escalating commotion.

At first, Peter hesitated, unsure of whether he should intervene or stay out of sight. However, the intensity of the argument pushed him to make his presence known. As he stepped into the room, both Mallory and Taylor turned their attention to him, their anger momentarily forgotten.

Mallory's heart sank as she saw her son standing there, his wide eyes filled with a mixture of confusion and concern. She took a deep breath, her own anger dissipating as guilt rushed in to take its place. "Peter, sweetheart, we didn't mean for you to hear that," she said, her voice softening as she approached him.

But as Mallory extended her hand towards Peter, he flinched back, his small frame recoiling from her touch. The hurt and fear in his eyes struck Mallory like a punch to the gut. She felt her heart shatter at the realisation that her son was scared of her.

Tears welled up in Peter's eyes as he took a step back, his gaze shifting from Mallory to Taylor. Without a word, he moved towards Taylor and buried his face in her waist. Taylor's arms wrapped around him, offering him the comfort he sought. Mallory's eyes filled with a mixture of regret and longing as she watched the scene unfold.

Taylor exchanged a knowing glance with Mallory, her expression a mixture of empathy and concern. She gently stroked Peter's hair, her soothing voice a stark contrast to the earlier argument. "It's okay, buddy," she whispered. "We'll talk about it later. Let's go to bed."

Mallory felt a lump in her throat as she watched Taylor guide their son towards the stairs. Taylor's ability to comfort Peter was both heartwarming and bittersweet. She wanted to be the one to soothe him, to erase the fear she had inadvertently instilled in him.

As Taylor settled Peter on his bed, Mallory approached them, her heart heavy with regret. "Peter, I'm so sorry," she said, her voice breaking slightly. "I shouldn't have raised my voice like that. It was wrong, and I promise I'll do better."

Peter looked up at Mallory, his eyes still filled with a mix of unease and sadness. Mallory's apology hung in the air, suspended between them. She wished she could take back her angry words, and erase the fear from her son's eyes. But she understood that rebuilding trust would take time.

Taylor shot Mallory a reassuring look before turning her attention back to Peter. "Let's all take a deep breath," she suggested gently. "We'll talk things through and make sure everyone's okay."

Mallory nodded, grateful for Taylor's understanding. As they sat together, Taylor led the conversation, asking Peter about his day and his feelings. Slowly, the tension began to ease, and Peter's body relaxed against Taylor's side.

In the days that followed the incident, an air of unease lingered in the household. Mallory's heartache over her son's fear weighed heavily on her, a constant reminder of the impact of her anger. She was haunted by the parallels between her own upbringing and the situation she had unwittingly created for Peter.